Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Scrapbooking Scrabble

There are a lot of things that make me happy; two of them are playing Scrabble and taking vacations in warm places. It's even better when I can combine those two things. And making a fun scrapbook page about it makes me happy, too.

Scrapbook page with background made of punched 3/4" squares arranged to look like a Scrabble board.
Supplies:
Cardstock: Lilywhite (Bazzill Basics), Bluebelle (Paper Reflections), pink, red, turquoise, light tan, medium tan (unknown)
Accessories: 3/4" square punch (EK Success), wooden-tile letter stickers (Making Memories), black pen (ZIG Millennium), Dotto re-positionable adhesive (Herma)

This is definitely an example of a project getting a little bit out of hand: I punched out and glued down all those little colored squares. Yep, all 225 of them. (All I have to say is thank goodness for re-positionable adhesive!) When I started, I knew I wanted to use the wooden-tile letter stickers for the page title, and I was going to punch enough squares only for that. But then I wasn't sure how I would combine the title section with the pictures and make everything work together. Obviously it was a much better idea to just make an entire Scrabble "board." Right?

Fast forward several hours on my Sunday afternoon and I was still punching and gluing card stock while examining one of my many Scrabble boards to be sure I was getting the right arrangement of colors. Somewhere around a quarter of the way through I realized that I wasn't going to have enough of the light tan card stock to finish the page. Serious bummer. By that point I wasn't really interested in starting from scratch. My first thought was to remove the tan squares that were going to be hidden behind the pictures and use them elsewhere on the page. Still not enough. So I looked through my card stock, found the closest color I had and figured I'd have to make do. I knew I couldn't just switch colors in the middle of the page, so I went back over what I had already done and randomly pulled off some of the light tan squares and replaced them with the darker color. (Again, re-positionable adhesive to the rescue.) Then I was able to use squares of both tan colors as I finished creating the rest of the "board." Honestly, I think I like this better than I would have with just one color tan; it has a little more depth and character (or something like that).

The rest of the layout is pretty straightforward. I decided where I wanted to place the pictures and played around with the letters to figure out what words I could spell in a crossword style. Because the layout of this page didn't really lend itself to journaling (which is something I generally do a fair amount of in my scrapbooks), I used the letter stickers to spell out a few additional key words, including the place and our names.

I really like how this page turned out, and I think it might just need to be framed. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: