Sunday, April 29, 2012

Magnetic bookmark

I have a slight obsession with bookmarks. I've always loved buying and collecting them. I have a plastic pencil box overfilled with all different sizes, shapes and styles of bookmarks, some of them from when I was in elementary school. And when I pick up a book to read, I have to find a bookmark that coordinates with the book somehow, such as the color of the tassel matching the color on the cover. (It's silly, I know.) So making bookmarks is always a fun little project. Plus, many of friends and family members are avid readers, so they make a fun little gift add-on, too.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!® unless otherwise noted):
Card stock: Not Quite Navy, The Thrift Shop paper pad (October Afternoon)
Accessories: Fun Flowers die, Perfect Polka Dots embossing folder, 1-3/4" scallop circle punch, 1" circle punch, Scallop Edge Border punch, magnet strips (unknown), Scor-Tape (Scor-Pal)

I've seen many variations of magnetic bookmarks such as this, but I had never made one myself before this weekend. It was really fun and easy, and you could replace the flower with just about any shape: a snowflake or a heart for a seasonal gift, a large circle with an image or an inspiring word/quote, or even a small photo matted on card stock.

This is the completed bookmark when opened.




To make my bookmark, I cut a strip of the floral patterned card stock about 1-1/2" wide by 8" long. (It is card stock weight, so it is heavier than just patterned paper.) I folded the strip in half and then opened it to punch the scallop edges. Tip: On the front of my Scallop Edge Border punch, there is a little notch that shows where the middle of the punch is. I slid my (opened) strip of card stock in the punch and aligned the crease with that notch. Then I punched out the scallops to the right, then the left, then turned the strip around and punched the other side. By lining up the paper this way, the scallops on the front and the back of the bookmark match up when the bookmark is folded in half but not on a page. (They aren't exactly perfect but very close.)

This is the back of the completed bookmark when opened.
I assembled both flowers and adhered one of them to one end of the strip of card stock. Then I folded the bookmark and turned it over so the first flower was face-down. I placed the adhesive on the other end of the card stock strip and glued on the second flower, making sure that the two die-cuts were aligned. I cut two strips of magnet tape and adhered them to the back of the floral card stock, one piece on either end. (Because this will be inside a book, you want to be sure to use fairly thin magnet strips or tape, which should be available at any craft store.) And that's it!

The next time I give someone a book for a gift, I think I'll make a bookmark to put inside of it -- and it will probably have to match the book, too. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: