Friday, April 6, 2012

Bold, bright birthday

Yesterday I received a fun surprise in the mail: an absolutely adorable Easter card from my friend Faith. But that wasn't all. Inside the card she had included several stamped images of the Packed for Birthday stamp that is in the 2012 Occasions mini catalog from Stampin' Up!® I don't have that stamp yet, but I really liked the birthday image, and Faith was nice enough to stamp the image several times (more than I expected!) on white card stock and send them to me so I could play with them. I was so excited to get them that I wanted to make a card with one of the images as soon as I could:

Light blue birthday card with bright circles along the side (red, yellow, green, light blue, dark blue). Focal collage-type image includes a banner, cake, pinata, balloons and presents.
Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Packed for Birthday, Happiest Birthday Wishes
Card stock: Whisper White, Pool Party, Island Indigo, Poppy Parade, Daffodil Delight, Lucky Limeade
Ink: Black, Island Indigo; markers: Poppy Parade, Daffodil Delight, Lucky Limeade, Pool Party, Island Indigo
Accessories: Deckle scissors (Fiskars), Island Indigo baker's twine, 3/4" circle punch, Dimensionals

With some of the stamped pieces Faith sent, I'm planning to cut out the different little images to use on cards, but for my first try I wanted to just do some basic coloring. Yes, the stamp does have a lot of tiny images to color, but it wasn't as bad as I expected. And I thought these bright, bold colors would be perfect for a birthday card.

The layout of the card is pretty simple. I trimmed the stamped image with a deckle scissors and used Dimensionals to adhere it to a piece of Island Indigo card stock that was wrapped with baker's twine. I wanted to bring all the colors from the stamped image onto the rest of the card, so I punched a 3/4" circle out of each card stock color and glued them along the left side. Then I just added a birthday greeting to the bottom of the card. And that's it!

I'm looking forward to seeing what other ideas I can come up with for the rest of my Packed for Birthday images. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: