Monday, April 16, 2012

Under the sea

So the rain we had yesterday turned into snow today. None of it stuck to the ground or anything (at least not around here), but it's still not really what you want to see on a Monday morning in April. So I thought today would be a good day to share a card that brings to mind warmer days and sunny places.

Card that looks like an under the sea scene. Stamped and cut-out seaweed, turtles and octopi along with fish brads.
Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Summer Splash
Card stock: Pool Party, Island Indigo, Crumb Cake, Whisper White, Summer Sun, Perfect Plum, Lucky Limeade, Calypso Coral
Ink: Island Indigo, Concord Crush, Always Artichoke, Cajun Craze
Accessories: Build a Cupcake punch, 3/4" circle punch, scallop edge punch, paper snips, fish brads (Recollections), paper piercer, mat pack, Tombow Mono Multi liquid glue, Dimensionals

I had a lot of fun making this card. It all started with the adorable fish brads I bought over the weekend. When I saw them I knew they would be perfect for an under-the-sea-themed card.

I started with an Island Indigo card base. I punched a scallop edge on a piece of Pool Party card stock and glued that along the top of the card to create the sky and the look of waves. For the sand at the bottom, I tore a piece of crumb cake card stock, misted it with water, crumpled it up and flattened it, let it dry, and adhered it along the bottom of the card. I repeated those steps to add a second layer of "sand."

The rest of the sea part of this card involved a lot of cutting. The turtles are stamped in Always Artichoke on Lucky Limeade card stock, and the octopi are stamped in Concord Crush on Perfect Plum card stock. Before I glued them to the card, I decided where I wanted them to be placed and stamped the air bubbles. To create the seaweed or coral, I stamped the octopus twice in Cajun Craze on Calypso Coral card stock, cut the "legs" apart into groups of four and glued them on the card upside-down. Then I added the fish brads. (Hint: To make holes for brads in the middle of a card or piece of card stock, use a paper piercer and a foam mat behind the card stock.)

To finish off the card I punched out a sun (3/4" circle) and clouds (the top of the cupcake from the Cupcake Builder punch) and adhered them to the sky part of the card. Makes me long for a tropical vacation!

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: