Sunday, April 22, 2012

Petite Purse favors


In a couple of weeks I'm hosting a craft retreat/girls' weekend for some friends and family, and I'm really looking forward to it. I wanted to give little "party" favors, and I thought it would be appropriate to give something handmade. So this weekend I've been busy making these adorable little purses.

I used the new Petite Purse die from Stampin' Up!® along with a variety of card stock colors, Designer Series Paper (DSP) patterns and embellishments. The purses were very easy and quick to assemble; the die cuts out the shape for the purse (with score lines) and the handle from one piece of card stock about 5" x 8-1/2". So I just had to fold, glue, decorate and attach the handle.
For some of the purses I glued the handle to the side of the purse and then added a pearl or rhinestone over it. For others I used brads to attach the handle. I liked using the brads because then the handle could be swiveled back so it was a bit easier to fill the purses. But then I also had the prongs of the brads inside the purse, and sometimes they caught on the goodies I was putting inside the purses.

Speaking of goodies, deciding what to put in the purses was fun, but also a bit challenging since they are small. I finally decided on a lip gloss, two Dove chocolates and a small pad of Post-It notes. (A note about the lip glosses: They are from a company called Crazy Rumors, and they are wonderful. They're vegan, cruelty-free (no animal testing), contain organic ingredients and come in wonderful flavors like Amaretto, French Vanilla, Raspberry Sorbet, Lemonade and many, many more. I highly recommend them!)

The design for the Post-It pad was not my original idea. I had received a small pad like this from another Stampin' Up! demonstrator at the 2010 convention. (Unfortunately I don't know the demonstrator's name, so I can't give more specific credit.)
The size of the Post-It pad is about 1-3/8" x 1-7/8". The cover for the pad is a piece of glossy white card stock 2-1/16" wide by 5" long. It is scored at 1-1/4", 1-11/16", 3-1/4" and 3-11/16". I removed the backing and stuck the pad on the non-glossy side of the card stock. I folded over the flaps and wrapped a 1" x 4-1/2" strip of DSP around the pad, gluing down the strip where the ends overlapped. Then I adhered the owl to the DSP.

It was tight, but I did manage to fit everything inside the purse. (The lip gloss is underneath the two chocolates.)

I do have one little confession: I worked really hard to coordinate the card stock, DSP, Post-It pad and lip gloss for each purse. It didn't always work out perfectly, and I'm sure no one will ever notice, but it was fun. I can't wait to give these out at the retreat; I hope everyone enjoys them!

Thanks for stopping by!


6 comments:

Colleen said...

I found your post on SCS and wanted to come here to look at all your purses. I am glad I did.
How clever they all are and I know you put a lot of time into them. I know they will be a big hit with your guests.

TFS
Colleen Horner

Mia said...

Those are fantastic! What a cute little gift idea. Thank you so much for sharing.

Natalie said...

What a clever and adorable little gift! Thanks so much for sharing how you made them!

Anonymous said...

Do you sell these?

Andrea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Oh Andrea, these are so stinkin' cute!! How did I miss seeing them??! The flavours of the lip gloss sound delicious! What a great idea! I'm sure you all had a fun time:-)
Sunshine.