Monday, January 7, 2013

A fun discovery

I'll be honest, I'm always a little envious of the creative people who can take a few punches, dies or stamps and come up with unexpected ways to use them. I don't usually have the eye for that. But while I was playing with the Floral Frames Framelits dies to create my flower-shaped card, I did make a little discovery: you can use these Framelits dies to make label shapes.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!®):
Stamps: Raining Flowers, Sweet Essentials
Card stock: Melon Mambo, Lucky Limeade, Basic Black, Whisper White
Ink: Jet Black StazOn, Melon Mambo, Lucky Limeade (marker)
Accessories: Scallop Edge Border punch, Floral Frames Framelits dies, Delicate Designs embossing folders, Itty Bitty Shapes punch pack, rhinestones, Tombow Mono Multi liquid glue, Glue Dots

See the shaped piece of Lucky Limeade card stock behind the greeting on this card? That was made with the Floral Frames framelits dies! I know that it's not terribly cute or exciting, and I may not even be the first person to think of it, but it was a fun discovery for me.

I used the second-largest die in the Floral Frames set and a 1-1/4" wide strip of card stock. (The finished length of the label shape will be about 4-1/4", so be sure your card stock is at least that long.) I positioned the Framelit die so that two "petals" across from each other were aligned on the strip and then ran it through my Big Shot. (If needed, you could place a self-stick note across the die and card stock to hold them in place.)

If you use a slightly wider strip of card stock, you create a different shape (see photo). I layered the label in my card above with a small banner, but I think either of these labels would look great layered with other shapes, too (I think I might try ovals next). And I'm sure you could use the rest of the Floral Frames Framelits dies to make larger or smaller label shapes; just adjust the width of your card stock as needed.



Thanks for stopping by!

6 comments:

gottadance said...

You go girl! You are just getting started! Very good discovery - don't you just love those multi-tasking dies?

Sue Robinson said...

Great idea I kbnow what you mean about clever people. How nice that you found this all by yourself

That Little Nut said...

Neato! I'm thinking if you used 1 1/4" and rotated the die a little, it would make a big banner, too!

Andrea said...

Thanks for your comments! And Linda, that's a great idea! I'll have to give that a try.

lanagram said...

Thanks, hope that it is ok that I passed on your page to all my friends. Great!

Unknown said...

Good discovery! Save buying another punch.. Thanks.