Sunday, January 6, 2013

Flower-shaped card

A while back I saw an adorable Floral Frames card on the blog of another Stampin'!® demonstrator, Mary Fish. Mary used the Floral Frames Framelits dies to create a fun flower-shaped card. I wanted to try my own version, and here is the card I created:

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Paper: Whisper White, Daffodil Delight, Real Red, Lucky Limeade cardstock; Summer Smooches Designer Series Paper (DSP)
Accessories: Floral Frames Framelits dies, Woodgrain embossing folder, Brights Collection buttons, white baker's twine, Glue Dots

What a bright, cheery card for a cold winter day! And it was really easy to make, to boot. I wanted the card to fit in a standard A2-sized envelope, so I started with a 5-1/2" x 4-1/4" card base in Daffodil Delight. I placed the largest Floral Frames die on the card so that two of the points were lined up evenly along the bottom of the card, and then I ran the card and die through my Big Shot. (A quick disclaimer: Framelits dies do specify that they are designed to be used with a single sheet of paper, card stock or other material. I didn't have a problem cutting through both layers of card stock, but it could affect the product warranty if any damage occurs.)

I used the next largest Floral Frames die to cut a layer of the Summer Smooches DSP and a layer of Whisper White card stock (for the inside of the card). I adhered the DSP layer to the front of the card and then trimmed off the parts of the top two points that stuck up past the fold. Then I cut off the same amount from two points of the Whisper White layer and adhered it inside the card. (The Daffodil Delight card stock is light enough that I could have skipped this step, but I like how the card looks with the layer inside.)

For the rest of the card front, I used the third-largest Floral Frames die to cut a Real Red flower, which I embossed and adhered to the front of the card. I love the texture created by the Woodgrain embossing folder. To create the flower in the center, I used the smallest Floral Frames die with another piece of the Summer Smooches DSP and finished it off with a Tempting Turquoise button and a touch of baker's twine.

To create the leaf, I cut a piece of Lucky Limeade card stock with the second-largest Floral Frames die. The petals of the flower can be cut apart to make perfect leaves. For this photo, I drew lines on the die-cut so you can see how to separate the petals, and then I cut out one section. I hand-trimmed the leaf shape a little more and then embossed it with the Woodgrain embossing folder and adhered it to the back of the card front (see photo above).


I think the next set of cards I make as a gift may just have to be these flowers. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: