Sunday, July 11, 2021

One-sheet wonder birthday cards

In my post yesterday I mentioned that I'd like to do more watercolor techniques in my cardmaking. Another thing I need to work on is using more patterned paper. I have a pretty solid collection, and I don't seem to use it as much as I should. So I was excited when I found a YouTube video for a one-sheet wonder technique using 6" x 6" papers. I used three pieces of patterned paper, along with coordinating card stock, to create these six birthday cards:

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Picture Perfect Birthday, Gorgeous Grunge, Tiny Words Birthday (Simon Says Stamp)
Paper: Cupcakes and Carousels Designer Series Paper (DSP) Stack; Very Vanilla, thick Very Vanilla, Bermuda Bay, So Saffron, Calypso Coral, Early Espresso card stock
Ink: Early Espresso, Calypso Coral, So Saffron, Bermuda Bay
Accessories: Celebrate die (My Favorite Things), block-style Happy Birthday die (Avery Elle), Nested banners dies (Simon Says Stamp), It's Your Day die (Simon Says Stamp), script-style Happy Birthday die, Metallic Baker's Twine and Sequins Combo Pack, Coral Reef sequins (Close to My Heart), blue ribbon (unknown), jute twine (May Arts Ribbon), foam tape (3M), Art Glitter Glue (Art Institute)

If you're not familiar with one-sheet wonders, they are techniques that provide a template for cutting a piece of patterned paper so every piece is used on a card and there are no leftover scraps. There are many, many patterns out there (just do an internet search for one-sheet wonder template), but I decided to stick with the one in the video, which was made by Jacque Williams, a Stampin' Up! demonstrator in New Zealand.

Double-sided patterned papers are fun to use with one-sheet wonder techniques, because you get twice as many patterns to choose from. Since I used three different sheets of DSP, I had a total of six patterns -- lots of ways to mix and match the pieces for my cards!

For most of the cards, I just added a die-cut and/or stamped sentiment to the card front. But for the card on the left in this photo, I wanted to add an image, too. I stamped the party blowers and sentiment on Very Vanilla card stock using inks that coordinated with the DSP and then used a marker to add the stripes on the blowers, the clusters of dots, and the border around the panel. I also stamped some confetti in the upper left and lower right corners of the card base. You don't see a lot of the DSP in that card, but it's a great little accent. I finished off all the cards with sequins, and I also added ribbon or twine to most of them.

I'm looking forward to trying more one-sheet wonder templates -- and maybe one of these days I'll make a dent in my stash of patterned paper! Thanks for stopping by!


4 comments:

Sunshine. said...

What beautiful and very colourful cards, I really like them! Jacque Williams is my SU demo lady! She is a Platinum Elite demo and is one of the nicest people you could meet. I've done some of her classes and she is just amazing.
Your cards are always "happy" cards, they always make me smile!
Stay well and have a fun day:-)
Sunshine.

Anonymous said...

What wonderful inspiration! And excellent designs to use to re-fill my birthday card supply. There are several extended family & friends birthdays from April to July, so I need to re-stock. And a new site for more ideas - thanks for "introducing" Jacque Williams.
Judy

Andrea said...

Thanks, Sunshine! I wondered if you would know (or at least know of) Jacque Williams. I can imagine her classes are great. I'll have to check out some of her other videos.

Andrea said...

Oh, my birthday card stash is getting so low! I have a few little guys in the family with upcoming birthdays, and I'm struggling to find good cards for them. I may have to whip up a couple tomorrow night. (I've been consumed with stress about house hunting and buying and have done very little crafting lately.) Thanks as always for your lovely comments, Judy!