Thursday, December 24, 2020

Watercolor field of flowers

Merry Christmas Eve! After a stretch of milder-than-usual weather, we had a good blizzard yesterday, so we definitely will be having a white Christmas. It makes me wish I had a nice snow-themed card to share today. But alas, I don't. Instead it's a much more spring-y scene.

Supplies:
Paper: Watercolor paper (Strathmore), Berry Bliss card stock (Stampin' Up!)
Ink: Watercolor paints (Beam Paints)
Accessories: Jute twine (May Arts Ribbon), Scor-Tape (Scor-Pal)

Did you notice that I didn't use any stamps or die-cuts on this card? Instead, I used watercolor paints to create a simple, loose field of flowers. I watched a Make Your Own Beginner Watercolor Card video by Sharon Cullen for inspiration and tips. It was a very clear, easy-to-follow tutorial, and I really enjoyed trying it out. I think I had a bit too much water on my flowers, though, because the pink spread out a little more than I would have liked. But the nice thing about watercolor is that it doesn't have to be precise or perfect. And I think this card still looks pretty good.

I want to try more watercolor painting in the new year. For Christmas last year one of my gifts was an online watercolor class, and I think I've only completed the introductory lesson. I did get the supplies, though, so now I just need more crafty time and energy (and fewer things to stress me out)!

Thanks for stopping by today, and I hope Christmas brings you moments of peace, hope, and joy!


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's gorgeous! I think watercolor paintings are best when they are very loose and suggest the subject, not meant to be exact. It allows the viewer to see it in their own way. This is frameworthy.
Judy

Andrea said...

Thanks so much, Judy! I've never really done watercolor painting (other than coloring in stamped images), so it was fun to watch it come together.

Sunshine. said...

Very pretty! Love how the colours all blend together! A sea of pink flowers!
Sunshine.

Andrea said...

Thank you, Sunshine!