Tuesday, April 3, 2012

For a fabulous friend

Today I needed to make a combination happy birthday and thank you card for one of my good friends. I knew exactly which stamp set I wanted to use, and here is the finished card:

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!®, unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Polka-Dot Posies, Essential Messages (Hero Arts) (for the greeting inside the card)
Card stock: Naturals White, Riding Hood Red, So Saffron, Tea for Two Mini Deck patterned card stock (Cosmo Cricket)
Ink: Pear Pizzazz, Riding Hood Red, So Saffron
Accessories: Riding Hood Red pleated satin ribbon, mini jewels - Lily White assortment (Doodlebug Design Inc.), corner rounder, 1/2" circle punch, Boho Blossoms punch, Mini Glue Dots, Tombow Mono multi liquid glue

For the top half of the card, I stamped the yellow flowers and green leaves directly on the card base. I stamped the red flower centers on a separate piece of card stock, punched them out with a 1/2" circle punch and glued them to the flowers. For the bottom half of the card I used a piece of striped card stock. (I chose my color combination from this card stock, and I love the stripes with the flowers and polka dots.) But instead of cutting the card stock in a straight line, I created a wave along the top edge. Then when I adhered the ribbon to the card, I just followed the curved edge of the card stock. (The pleats in the ribbon allow it to be glued down in gentle curves without bunching.)

I used two colors to ink up the greeting stamp to provide some visual interest and to accent the last line of the greeting. I matted the greeting and adhered it to the card with Dimensionals. Finally I used the Boho Blossoms punch and some self-adhesive jewels to add a few embellishments.

When I make a card I don't always decorate the inside of the card. But I wanted this card to have a little extra something, so I stamped a couple of flowers to match the front of the card. (Of course, I'm going to go ahead and write my message over them, but you'll still be able to see them.) I also stamped another greeting inside the card, and I think it fits perfectly with the greeting on the card front.

I love the bright, fun and playful feel of this card. I think it would be a great card to send to a friend for any occasion -- or for no occasion at all!




Thanks for stopping by!


No comments: