Monday, April 9, 2012

Birthday spotlight

Today I'm going to share another card I made using the Packed for Birthday images I received from my friend Faith last week.

Black card with a background of multi-colored circles. Focal image features a variety of birthday things -- balloons, presents, etc. -- in black and white with certain areas colored in.
Supplies (all Stampin' Up!®):
Stamps: Packed for Birthday, Birthday Greetings
Card stock: Basic Black, Whisper White, Summer Sun, Green Galore, Only Orange, Ballet Blue, Pixie Pink
Ink: Black; markers: Summer Sun, Green Galore, Only Orange, Ballet Blue, Pixie Pink
Accessories: 3/4" circle punch, tinsel trim, Tombow Mono Multi liquid glue, Dimensionals

When I made my first card with the Packed for Birthday image, I just colored it. I wanted to do something a little different with this card, so I used the spotlight technique. This technique works really well with line-art images. The end result is that most of the stamped image is left black and white, with a few areas colored, as if they are in a spotlight.

Close up of focal image: a variety of birthday things -- balloons, presents, etc. -- stamped in black and white with certain areas colored in.
To start, stamp your image on two pieces of card stock, and set one of them aside. Using the other stamped image, punch out the areas you want to spotlight with a circle punch. I decided I wanted to have three "spotlights" on this card, and since this image isn't terribly large, I had to use a small circle punch. I could have used a larger punch to spotlight just one or two items, such as the cake or pinata.

Color in the images on the punched circles and adhere them over the matching places on the first stamped image. (I used Dimensionals to adhere the circles so they stood out.) Another option would be to color the spotlight areas before punching out the circles; the end result will be the same, and it might be easier than trying to hold onto a tiny circle of card stock while you're trying to color it in. I'm just sayin' ...

Inside of card with stamped sentiment. The inside parts of letters are colored in to coordinate with the front of the card.
For the background of the card, I punched out multicolored card stock circles and glued them randomly over the card front, with some of the circles overlapping each other or going over the edges of the card. I wrapped a piece of tinsel trim around the card front three times and tied it in a bow. Then I adhered the Packed for Birthday image, matted with Basic Black card stock, over the tinsel.

With all the colors on the front of the card, I didn't want to leave the inside too plain. So after I stamped the greeting on a layer of Whisper White card stock, I used markers to color in the middle of the letters. I think it's a fun little detail for what is, at least in my opinion, a pretty fun birthday card.






Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: