Friday, April 27, 2012

Stamping friends

Usually when I create a scrapbook, I put multiple pictures on a page; they might be different sizes or shapes, but there are several of them. (I suppose that's probably because most of my scrapbooks are vacation memories, so I always have a lot of pictures I want to include.) I don't think I've ever made a layout with just one picture. But that was my crafty challenge today: make a scrapbook page with only one 5" x 7" photo.

Scrapbook page with picture of friends from Convention 2011 and the title "what's life without a few good friends."
Supplies (all from Stampin' Up!® unless otherwise noted):
Paper: Admiral card stock (Bazzill Basics Paper); Night of Navy, Brilliant Blue card stock; Ice Cream Parlor Designer Series Paper
Ink/paint: White gel pen; Wicker White, Hot Pink acrylic paint (Plaid)
Accessories: On Board Loads of Letters chipboard, 1-3/8" square punch, 1/2" circle punch, Dimensionals, Mono Multi liquid glue, pencil with eraser

This picture, which was taken at The Gateway in Salt Lake City last summer, makes me smile. For the past two years I've attended the Stampin' Up! convention, and one of my favorite things about the experience has been making new stamping friends. I just wish we weren't spread across the country!

For the title of this page I doodled the first few words freehand at the top of the page and then used chipboard letters for the last word at the bottom. I mixed three different fonts of letters, painted them white and added pink dots (with a pencil eraser dipped in paint) to three of the letters. I repeated the look of the dots on the page by punching out 1/2" Night of Navy circles and adhering them with Dimensionals in groups of three. For the three pennant strips, I used a square punch to create the pointed ends. I matted the photo with Brilliant Blue card stock, doodled a frame around the photo and added a little journaling.

The doodling (which I've done on cards but not scrapbook pages) wasn't as intimidating as I thought it would be. I guess one of the nice things about doodling is that it's inherently imperfect, so the little "mistakes" aren't so noticeable.

All in all, I'm pretty pleased with this scrapbook layout. Now if only I could see these stamping friends more often. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: