Saturday, June 15, 2019

Blast from the past

Do you remember when stores or restaurants had promotions when they sold collections of products, like books or dishes? (Star Wars glasses from McDonald's, anyone?) I was young, so I have fuzzy memories of it, but I know you had to go to the store every week to purchase the latest item in the collection. Well, one of the collections we got at the grocery store was cassette tapes featuring rock 'n' roll oldies. My sister and I each had a special plastic case to store the cassettes, and we (or more accurately, our parents) managed to collect quite a few of them. I still have those cassettes, along with a number of others, and probably even a Walkman tucked away somewhere, too. So these cards were a little blast from the past for me.

Supplies:
Stamps: Mix Tape (Concord & 9th)
Paper: Thick Whisper White, Whisper White, Basic Black card stock (Stampin' Up!); Oh My Stars Collection Kit (Bella Blvd)
Ink: Mango Melody (Stampin' Up!), Strawberry Milkshake (Taylored Expressions), Tuxedo Black (Memento), Balmy Blue Blends markers (Stampin' Up!)
Accessories: Mix Tape dies (Concord & 9th), black washi tape (Handmade Modern), Tutti-Frutti Adhesive-Backed Sequins (Stampin' Up!), foam tape (3M)

For this card I wanted some bright colors, and this bold, graphic pattern was perfect. I die cut "you rock" from the bottom of the paper, glued black card stock behind it and then adhered the panel to a card base. I applied a strip of black polka dot washi tape along the left edge to pull out the black in the paper.

I cut the tape and music note out of black card stock and added the white label stamped with "birthday mix" and colored stripes to match the patterned paper. I attached the tape to the card with foam tape and then added the music notes and a few sequins.

The Mix Tape stamp set also has a stamp that looks like the playlist on the tape, so I stamped that inside the card and added a few party-related "songs." I love the little stamps for side A and side B. I also added a few die-cut music notes.

Supplies:
Stamps: Mix Tape (Concord & 9th)
Paper: Whisper White, Pacific Point, Pool Party, Mango Melody, Smoky Slate card stock (Stampin' Up!)
Ink: Tuxedo Black (Memento); Pacific Point, Pool Party, Mango Melody, Smoky Slate (Stampin' Up!)
Accessories: Mix Tape dies (Concord & 9th), Brights Candy Dots (Stampin' Up!), foam tape (3M)

For my second card I wanted to make one with a more masculine feel. I started with a Pacific Point card base and stamped the cassette image in a tile pattern using Pacific Point ink. I adhered strips of Pool Party and Mango Melody card stock diagonally across the card front.

For the focal image I used a stamped tape instead of a die-cut one and added details using ink that coordinated with the card stock colors. I die cut a tape out of Smoky Slate card stock and adhered it to the card over the stripes. Then I cut out the stamped image and attached it with foam tape just slightly offset from the Smoky Slate layer. For a simple embellishment and a touch of texture, I added three Candy Dots along the right side of the card.

Supplies:
Stamps: Mix Tape (Concord & 9th)
Paper: Thick Whisper White, textured Melon Mambo card stock (Stampin' Up!)
Ink: Smoky Slate, Powder Pink, Flirty Flamingo, Melon Mambo (Stampin' Up!); Tuxedo Black (Memento); Stardust Gelly Roll Pen (Sakura)
Accessories: Glitter Enamel Dots

I kept this last card pretty simple and focused on just stamping. I went for a feminine color combo of pinks and gray and stamped the tape on a white card base. I stamped the loopy hello sentiment below the tape. I love how it was designed to look like the actual tape was pulled out of the cassette. (Oh how I remember trying to wind up those unraveled tapes!)

I wanted to add a little sparkle, so I used a Stardust Gelly Roll pen to add accents to the letters and placed three glitter enamel dots around the focal image. Finally, I matted the white card with textured Melon Mambo card stock to create a narrow colored border around the card.



Thanks for stopping by!

5 comments:

Sunshine. said...

Oh, these cards are so much fun Andrea! I have to confess, I too still have a few cassettes from days gone by, as well as my old Walkman! Eeek, I am showing my age:-)
But seriously, the cards are great! I bet you had a fun time creating them!
Sunshine
ihearttostamp.blogspot.com

Sunshine. said...

Ooops! I forgot to mention how much I liked the word "hello", and how it looks like it is the tape being pulled out of the cassette! That's so cool!
Awesome:-)
Sunshine
ihearttostamp.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

These cards make me smile and I think friends of my age group would have the same reaction. They are wonderful! Yes, remember mix tapes from junior and senior high. And...remember those kind of promotions from even earlier - I recall Christmas 33 rpm records from the grocery store when I was a young child! I agree with Sunshine - the stamp that spells out "hello" with the tape is great!
Judy

Andrea said...

Thanks so much, Sunshine! It's fun to pull out those cassettes sometimes. :)

Andrea said...

Thanks, Judy! I hope the recipients of these cards enjoy them, too. :)