Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Day 3: Pretty papers

Welcome to the third installment of the 12 Days of Christmas Cards. The two holiday cards I'm sharing today feature patterned papers, specifically the Season of Style Designer Series Paper (DSP). This DSP was from Stampin' Up!'s 2013 holiday catalog, but you could easily substitute other papers. Or if you really like these patterns, you could buy the digital download and print your own paper.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Paper: Cherry Cobbler, Crumb Cake, Whisper White card stock; Season of Style DSP
Accessories: Banners Framelits dies, Scripty Joy die (Lawn Fawn), Cherry Cobbler seam binding ribbon, Cherry Cobbler baker's twine, gold sequin trim, Glue Dots, Mono Multi liquid glue, Dimensionals

I love the cheery feeling of this card and the combination of stripes and polka dots. The die-cut "joy" is the perfect sentiment and ties everything together.

To make the focal panel, I started with a 4-5/8" x 3-3/8" piece of Whisper White card stock. I glued on the two pieces of DSP (the striped piece is 1-1/2" x 3-1/4", and the polka dot piece is 3" x 3-1/4") and added a piece of ribbon to hide the seam. I placed a Crumb Cake banner on the lower half of the card, tucking the end under the ribbon. The look of the banner is very subtle, but I wanted to break up the polka dots and create a solid background for the sentiment. For embellishment, I replaced the dot in the "j" with a gold sequin, and I also added three sequins to the top half of the card. I wrapped a piece of baker's twine around the ribbon, finished it with a bow and adhered the panel to a Cherry Cobbler card base with Dimensionals.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Holiday Greetings Square (Paper Source)
Paper: Chocolate Chip, Old Olive, Whisper White card stock; Season of Style DSP
Ink: Chocolate Chip, Baked Brown Sugar, Cherry Cobbler, Old Olive markers
Accessories: Square Flip-Its #2 dies (Sizzix), gold sequin trim, gold baker's twine, Dimensionals, Glue Dots

When I saw this stamp with all the different holiday words in the store, I knew right away I wanted to make a card like this. So when I got home I was relieved to find that it did actually fit in the center square of this flip-card die.

My starting place for this card was choosing the DSP. Then I used the coordinating markers to color the different words on the rubber stamp before stamping the image on Whisper White card stock. (That was definitely the most time-consuming part of this card design.) I matted the image with Old Olive and adhered it to the card base with Dimensionals. After die cutting and adhering the pieces of DSP, I added a few gold sequins and a touch of gold baker's twine on the left side of the card. On the reverse side of the center square I added a square of plain white card stock where I will write a little message and sign my name.

Remember, for links to all of the cards posted as part of my blog series, check out the main 12 Days of Christmas Cards post. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: