Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Stripes and circles

I've been busy, busy making Christmas cards, and I'll be ready to post them on my blog soon. But before I get to those I want to share a few non-holiday cards I've made recently. Today I'm going to share three fun birthday cards for kids.

Square pink birthday card with bright striped background paper and the image of two chicks wearing birthday hats.
Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Happy Birthday Chick (Unity Stamp Company)
Paper: The Glitter Stack card stock (DCWV); Primrose Petals, Whisper White card stock
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, colored pencils (Prismacolor)
Accessories: Circles Collection Framelits dies, gold sequin trim, Daffodil Delight pompom trim, Corner Chomper (We R Memory Keepers), Dimensionals, Glue Dots

This card is 4-3/4" x 4-3/4", and I love the fun colors. I also like how all the circles -- the focal layer, the sequins, the pompom trim, the circles in the stamped image and even the rounded corners of the DSP -- play against the stripes in the background paper.

Birthday card with bright striped background paper, a hippo and bird, and the sentiment "hippo birdie to you."
Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Year Fawn (Lawn Fawn)
Paper: Whisper White, Basic Black card stock; The Glitter Stack card stock (DCWV)
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, colored pencils (Prismacolor)
Accessories: Brights Candy Dots, Dimensionals

I love the color combo in this striped paper. (It's from the same pack as the paper in the previous card, but these are the more "boyish" colors.) And they work perfectly with this cute image.

Unlike the previous card, this one has a lot of straight lines and sharp corners. So to bring in a little contrast, I curved the greeting image into a banner shape before I stamped it (one of the benefits of photopolymer stamps). I placed three candy dots in the lower right corner to add more round shapes and to repeat the orange color.
Pink, green and purple birthday card. Background made with different sizes of circles layered on white card stock and then embossed with polka dots. Focal image is a banner that says "celebrate."
Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Perfect Party
Paper: Pink Passion, Lavender Lace, Kiwi Kiss, Whisper White card stock
Ink: Pink Passion, Lavender Lace
Accessories: Circles Collection Framelits dies, rhinestones, Polka Dots embossing folder (Cuttlebug), iridescent shreds (unknown), Dimensionals, Mono Multi liquid glue

The background for this card was fun to make. I used the Circles Collection Framelits dies to cut different sizes of open circles in three colors of card stock. I arranged the circles on a piece of Whisper White card stock, glued them down with Mono Multi liquid glue, embossed the whole piece with a polka dot embossing folder and then adhered it to the card base. I didn't want to cover up the background with a large image, so I stamped a simple sentiment, cut it into a banner shape, added some iridescent shreds behind it and adhered it to the card. A few rhinestones add a little extra sparkle.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: