Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Day 2: Shimmering snowflakes

We're getting more snow today, so for the latest installment of the 12 Days of Christmas Cards I'm going to share a simple but striking card featuring snowflakes from the Endless Wishes stamp set.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Endless Wishes

Paper: Whisper White, Soft Sky, Blue Bayou card stock; silver paper (retired)
Ink: Soft Sky, Blue Bayou
Accessories: Frost White Shimmer Paint, Frosted Sequins, sponge dauber, Crystal Effects, Dimensionals

I pulled out some retired products for this card: shimmer paint, silver paper, and Blue Bayou ink and card stock. It's fun to get out those old products and see what you can create when you combine them with newer goodies. If you want to create this card but don't have those items, you could easily substitute similar products, such as silver Encore ink, silver foil sheets or glimmer paper, and Lost Lagoon card stock and ink.

I really love how this card turned out. I started by stamping a few of the largest snowflakes in Soft Sky ink on a piece of Whisper White card stock. (When making a collage-type background, I always start with the largest image and work toward the smallest so it's easier to fill in white spaces as I go.) Then I stamped the middle snowflake using Frost White Shimmer Paint. To apply the paint, I shake the bottle, remove the cover, dip a sponge dauber into the paint left in the cover, tap the paint on the stamp and then press the stamp onto the paper. I reapply the paint each time I stamp and clean off the stamp when I'm done, just like I would with ink. Finally I stamped several of the smallest snowflake in Blue Bayou, making sure to leave an open space for the sentiment.

To embellish the focal layer, I used Crystal Effects to adhere three silver sequins below the sentiment and a sequin at the center of each of the large snowflakes. Then I matted the white card stock with a piece of Soft Sky. I adhered a strip of silver paper across the Blue Bayou card base and used Dimensionals to attach the focal panel.

Remember, for links to all of the cards posted as part of my blog series, check out the main 12 Days of Christmas Cards post. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: