Saturday, November 1, 2014

Classic Nintendo controller birthday card

My sister, brother and I played our fair share of video games growing up, and I think we had every Nintendo system out there. My brother still loves video games, so for his birthday earlier this week I decided to make him a card featuring the classic Nintendo controller.

Birthday card featuring a classic NES controller made with punched and cut card stock.
Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Seriously Amazing
Paper: Basic Black, Smoky Slate, Poppy Parade, Basic Gray card stock; Designer Series Paper (DSP) Patterns Pack - In Color
Ink: Poppy Parade, Project Life journaling pens
Accessories: Word Window punch, Horizontal Slot punch, Itty Bitty Shapes punch pack, Neutrals Candy Dots, Mono Multi Liquid Glue, Dimensionals, Glue Dots

This was actually pretty quick and easy to make (once I did an online image search to remind myself what the controller looked like). Here are a few dimensions and tips:
  • The Smoky Slate base is 3" x 5", and the Basic Black layer is 2-5/8" x 4-3/4".
  • The Poppy Parade circles are punched out with the circle from the Itty Bitty Shapes punch pack. The Smoky Slate squares behind the circles are 1/2".
  • The shapes down the middle are made with the Word Window punch and the Horizontal Slot punch.
  • To make the direction controller on the left side, I cut the cross shape out of a piece of the grid paper I use to stamp on at my workspace. I glued the cross on a small piece of Basic Black card stock and then trimmed of the extra card stock. I traced that onto a piece of Smoky Slate card stock and cut around the traced lines, leaving a little border. Then I glued the Basic Black cross (with the grid paper on the back) onto the Smoky Slate one.

My brother said this was a great card, so I think that's a success. For next year I may have to figure out how to make a Mario- or Zelda-themed card. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: