Saturday, November 8, 2014

Cupcake square flip card

I know I've been sharing a lot of birthday cards lately, so I hope you don't mind one more. I basically spent the whole month of October needing to make another birthday card. The good part is that I got them done and delivered (well, most of them; I still have late birthday wishes to send to one friend); the bad part is that I didn't get to make extra cards to help replenish my supply. I'll have to add that to my to-do list, although with the holidays coming, I'm not sure I'll have much time in November or December, either. At any rate, here is the last birthday card I cranked out during October:

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Create a Cupcake
Paper: Coastal Cabana, Real Red, Crumb Cake, Whisper White card stock; Fresh Prints Designer Series Paper (DSP) stack
Ink: Crumb Cake, Real Red
Accessories: Square Flip-Its #2 dies (Sizzix), Decorative Dots embossing folder, Banner punch, Cupcake Builder punch, rhinestones, Essentials Paper-Piercing Pack, paper-piercing tool, Glue Dots, Mono Multi liquid glue, Dimensionals

I love the combination of colors and the fun patterns in the Fresh Prints DSP, and I think they look really cute with this cupcake.

This card looks a lot harder to make than it was. I used the Square Flip-Its #2 dies from Sizzix to cut out the card base. And the great thing is that the set also comes with dies to cut out paper for the sides of the card (as well as different sizes of square dies for creating layers for the "flippy piece") so I didn't have to do all kinds of crazy measuring and cutting of DSP to go around the square. Easy peasy.

For the focal point on the flippy piece, I cut a square of Whisper White card stock, stamped the sentiment along the bottom and then pierced a border around the top and sides. I punched out the pieces for the cupcake, embossed the bottom piece with polka dots, adhered the pieces together and then attached it to the middle of the white square with Dimensionals.

For the back of the flippy piece, I cut another square of Whisper White card stock, stamped the sentiment at the top and added a couple of stamped hearts. I know there isn't a lot of space for a message, but all I needed to write was something along the lines of "Hope you have a special day" and then sign my name, so for me it was perfect.

Next week I'll start sharing all the Christmas cards I've been making, and I have two designs that use the same Square Flip-Its dies, so be sure to check in next week. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: