Sunday, March 25, 2012

Black and white and ...

Black and white is always a classic color combination, whether in decorating, fashion or yes, even in card-making. That was what I started with for the card I have to share today. (Well technically, it was Basic Black and Very Vanilla, but close enough.) I wanted to add a third color, and I decided to go with Baja Blue. Here is the finished card:

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!®, unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: You're My Type
Paper: Baja Breeze, Very Vanilla, Basic Black, First Edition Specialty Designer Series Paper (DSP)
Ink: Jet Black StazOn, Baja Breeze (pad and marker)
Accessories: 1/8" Basic Black taffeta ribbon, black brads (unknown), color spritzer, Stamp-a-ma-jig, Dimensionals

I was aiming for a gender-neutral birthday card, and I think this will work (although, I think the Baja Blue leans just a bit more to the feminine side). For the focal image, I stamped the typewriter and then used the Stamp-a-ma-jig to line up and stamp the greeting three times on the "paper." I lightly ran the Jet Black StazOn ink pad along the edges of the Very Vanilla card stock before I mounted in on a piece of Basic Black.

For the background, I cut strips of First Edition DSP in random lengths and widths and adhered them to the card base. I spritzed Baja Blue over the card and, as with the focal image, ran the black ink pad along the edges of the card. Finally, I added a ribbon in the middle and brads in the corners and then used Dimensionals to adhere the focal point  over the ribbon.

If you're ever stuck deciding on a color combination, try starting with black and white and see where it takes you. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: