Saturday, March 10, 2012

Variations on a theme

One of the items that arrived in my box of Stampin' Up!® goodies this week was the stamp set Up, Up & Away. This set has been on my wish list since the latest catalog came out last summer, so I was excited to finally have it in my hands. I made one card with it last night and then today decided to make two more cards using the same images and colors but different layouts. Here are my variations on a theme:

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Up, Up & Away
Card stock: Pool Party, Whisper White
Ink: Basic Gray, Daffodil Delight, Poppy Parade, white gel pen
Accessories: Brights Collection buttons, white baker's twine, Stamp-a-Ma-Jig, Crop-a-dile, Dimensionals

For this card (as well as the other two), I stamped the clouds in Basic Gray and used a white gel pen to fill in the images. It took a little bit of time, but I really like the end result. The hot air balloons are stamped on white card stock (I used the Stamp-a-Ma-Jig to line up the main balloon image and the stamp with the lines of "stitching"), cut out and adhered to the card with Dimensionals. I love the little pop of red!
Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Up, Up & Away
Card stock: Pool Party, Whisper White, Basic Gray
Ink: Basic Gray, Daffodil Delight, Poppy Parade, white gel pen
Accessories: Stripes embossing folder, 1/8" Daffodil Delight taffeta ribbon, Stamp-a-Ma-Jig, Dimensionals, Glue Dots

The piece of Basic Gray card stock on the bottom of this card was embossed with the Stripes embossing folder. I  added Daffodil Delight ribbon along the top of the Basic Gray card stock and then used a Glue Dot to adhere a separate bow.
Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Up, Up & Away
Card stock: Pool Party, Whisper White, Basic Gray 
Ink: Basic Gray, Daffodil Delight, Poppy Parade, white gel pen
Accessories: Simply Scored tool and diagonal plate, Daffodil Delight seam binding ribbon, Stamp-a-Ma-Jig, Dimensionals

For this version, which I think is my favorite of the three, I used the diagonal plate with my Simply Scored tool to create the diagonal score lines on the Basic Gray card base. I added Daffodil Delight ribbon around the card front and a Whisper White mat behind the Pool Party card stock.

I didn't use many embellishments on these cards, and I considered adding some brads, rhinestones or pearls. But I think the "minimalist" look works well here because it doesn't detract from the scene and allows the hot air balloons to stand out against the background.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: