Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Paisley Petals DVD case notepad

Today was a beautiful spring-like day in Minnesota - sunny and temps above 50°F! I didn't even wear my jacket walking home from work. And I have decided that melting snow is quite possibly one of my favorite sounds. One sound I am not so fond of is that of me sneezing, and with spring on the way I think I'll be hearing that a lot since I seem to have developed allergies the past couple of years. But that's a price I'm willing to pay.

On a craftier note, I have another DVD case notepad holder to share with you today. (To see the previous two DVD case notepad holders,check out my Feb. 5 and Jan. 16 posts.)

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!® unless otherwise noted):
Paper: Paisley Petals Designer Series Paper (DSP), Bravo Burgundy and River Rock card stock
Ink: Tangerine Tango reinker
Accessories: Itty Bitty Shapes punch pack, Dotted Scallop Ribbon Border punch, Boho Blossoms punch, Scallop Edge Border punch, basic pearls, Cranberry grosgrain ribbon, Mellow Moss grosgrain ribbon, French Blue grosgrain ribbon, Just Blooms (Close to My Heart), Scor-Tape (Scor-Pal), Glue Dots
Additional supplies: DVD case, RSVP pen (Pentel), 4" x 6" scratch pad (Office Max)

There is one main difference between this notepad holder and the previous ones I've made. With this one, I used one large piece of DSP (10-5/8" x 7") to make the insert instead of making separate inserts for the cover, back and spine. Each method has its advantages: It's much faster to make one larger insert, and it seems a little more secure in the case. But with separate inserts, you can use different DSP prints (I like to make the front and back the same and have a contrasting pattern on the spine).

For the inside of the case, the measurements for the card stock and the pocket are the same as those in my first DVD case notepad holder post. To embellish the pocket on this case, I added a strip of Bravo Burgundy card stock punched with the Dotted Scallop Ribbon Border punch, a dyed paper flower, a punched flower and a pearl. I actually dyed this flower quite a while ago (I'm pretty sure with Tangerine Tango ink) for a different project, but I ended up not using it then. I decided to use it here because I thought it coordinated nicely. It's great when those little leftovers come in handy for other projects.

I have a few friends and family members who are often recipients of my card sets for birthday gifts. This year I might just have to shake things up and give them notepad holders instead. Or maybe a coordinating set of cards and a notepad holder. I love to have ideas for quick hand-made gifts.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: