Friday, March 30, 2012

Shadowbox birds

This past week I've been busy working on various papercraft projects that I'm not quite ready to share on my blog yet. So I have another older creation to share today. This is one of the items I submitted for Stampin' Up!®'s Artisan Award contest a couple of years ago. I wasn't one of the winners, but I was pleased with how this turned out.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Full of Life
Paper: Bordering Blue, Orchid Opulence, Chocolate Chip, Old Olive and textured Rich Razzleberry card stock; Cottage Wall Designer Series Paper (DSP)
Ink: StazOn white pad and refill, Orchid Opulence ink refill, Rich Razzleberry ink refill, uni-ball Signo white gel pen
Accessories: Window sheets medium, Fleurettes II, Pretties Kit, 1/16" hole punch, Bird Builder punch, Trio Flower punch, Mini Glue Dots, Stampin’ Dimensionals, Sticky Strip, Tombow Multi-Purpose Adhesive, Paper Snips
Additional items (non-Stampin' Up!): Frame, hot glue gun and glue sticks

This is a small frame (I think it was about 4" x 4") that I found at a local dollar store. There was premade artwork already in the frame; I removed that as well as the glass. To replace the glass, I stamped a greeting on a window sheet and hot glued it inside the frame. The punched birds, branches and flowers are glued to a piece of Bordering Blue card stock that was adhered to the back of the frame.

I used ink refills to dye the two white crochet flowers. They turned out a little darker than I wanted them to, but they did match more closely in person than in this photo. I remember that they seemed to take forever to dry; they were the last thing I had left to put on the frame, and I just kept checking them day after day after day ...

When I went to the Stampin' Up! convention the summer after I entered the Artisan Award contest, I saw this project on display along with several of the other items I had submitted for the contest (we had to submit ten items total). Not the same as winning, but it was a fun surprise nonetheless and a little confidence boost.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: