Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The Seventies called, and they want their colors back

I sat down after work today to make a couple of cards, and I decided on a bright combination of Stampin' Up!® colors: Daffodil Delight, Tangerine Tango and Lucky Limeade. I made the first card and really liked it. I was about halfway through the second card and realized that they are the same colors as my mom's Tupperware from when I was little. Seriously. If I'd added a dark brown I would have had the whole set. Ha! I guess everything really does come around again. Well, here are my retro floral cards:

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Petite Pairs
Paper: Lucky Limeade, Tangerine Tango, Daffodil Delight Whisper White card stock; Summer Smooches Designer Series Paper (DSP)
Ink: Tangerine Tango
Accessories: Summer Smooches fabric brads, Blossom Builders die cuts, Boho Blossoms punch, large oval punch, scallop oval punch, Lace Ribbon Border punch, Itty Bitty Shapes punch pack, Perfect Polka Dots embossing folder, mini silver brads, paper piercer, mat pack, Glue Dots, Tombow Mono multipurpose glue, Dimensionals

I wanted to give the flowers some dimension, so I scored the middle of each petal of the large flower and gently folded the petals. For the small flowers, I just curled the petals up. I also wanted to add some interest to the background without making the card any busier than it already was. So I embossed polka dots on the card front and then glued on a strip of the same color that was punched with the Lace Ribbon Border punch. I like the effect of tone-on-tone layering.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Up, Up & Away, Circle Circus, Teeny Tiny Wishes
Paper: Whisper White, Tangerine Tango, Daffodil Delight, Lucky Limeade card stock; Summer Smooches DSP
Ink: Tangerine Tango, Daffodil Delight
Accessories: Daffodil Delight seam binding ribbon, Scallop Edge Border punch, Word Window punch, Modern Label punch, 1" circle punch, corner rounder, mini silver brads, paper piercer and mat pack, Dimensionals

I think it was the patterns in the flower and the DSP on this card that really said (or maybe shouted) Seventies to me. The flower petals are actually a hot air balloon stamp from the set Up, Up & Away. I stamped and cut out five balloons and arranged them into the shape of a flower. The center of the flower is from the Circle Circus set.

To make the layered Modern Label punch, I punched the shape out of Tangerine Tango and Daffodil Delight. I cut the Tangerine Tango piece in half and then glued each half behind one end of the Daffodil Delight piece.

Hope you enjoyed this little blast from the past. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: