Sunday, August 21, 2011

Christmas in August

So that doesn't have quite the same ring as "Christmas in July," but, well, I missed that boat. It dawned on me last week that the summer is almost over, and I haven't worked on any Christmas cards. Once fall starts, things seem to get really crazy, and I've discovered that it's easier to get my Christmas cards (about 60 - 75 of them) done if I start making them, or at least start coming up with ideas, during the summer. Of course, it can be a challenge to think about winter when you're sweltering in 90°+ heat, and the humidity is so high that you feel like you're swimming as soon as you step out the door. Thankfully, the weather has been more enjoyable lately, so it's possible to see beyond shorts and t-shirts.

I came up with two Christmas card designs today. The first one is a pretty traditional card with a vintage feel:

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!®):
Stamps: Holiday Best
Card stock: Cranberry Crisp, Soft Suede, Very Vanilla
Ink: Cranberry Crisp, Soft Suede
Accessories: Vintage Wallpaper embossing folder, Basic Pearls, Cranberry Crisp stitched grosgrain ribbon, Dotted Scallop Ribbon Border punch, Scallop Edge Border punch, Decorative Label punch, Scallop Oval punch, Dimensionals

I stamped the focal image in Cranberry Crisp and Soft Suede and then cut the "Merry Christmas" greeting out of the Soft Suede piece and adhered it to the Cranberry Crisp image with a Dimensional. The scallops behind the focal image are from a scalloped oval, which I punched out of Soft Suede, cut in half and glued behind the top and bottom of the focal image. I used two additional Soft Suede accents: one piece, punched with the Dotted Scallop Ribbon Border punch, behind the ribbon and other piece, punched with the Scallop Edge Border punch, along the bottom of the card front. I added a few pearls on the embossed background and on the stamped focal image. I like the simple elegance (elegant simplicity?) of this card.

My second Christmas card of the day is much less traditional:

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Peaceful Season, Sage Advice
Card stock: Baja Breeze, Cherry Cobbler, Very Vanilla
Ink: Baja Breeze, Basic Gray
Accessories: Cherry Cobbler seam binding ribbon, Basic Pearls, Owl Builder punch, Ticket Corner punch, Dimensionals

Now I like Santa, snowmen and cute Christmas critters as much as anyone. But I really wanted to make a Christmas/holiday card that was meaningful and thoughtful, just not necessarily religious. (Inside the card is stamped "May love and joy live in your heart long after the season is past.") I really like the idea of this card, but I'm not quite sure this is the right layout. Or maybe the color combo is off (Baja Breeze, Cherry Cobbler, Basic Gray). When I have time I'll have to try making a few different versions and see which I like best.

I hope I've given you a little inspiration for your own holiday cards. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: