Last weekend I pulled out my under-used Cricut to cut letters for name tags for work, and since I had everything set up and plugged in, I decided to incorporate it into some cards. I wish I used my Cricut cartridges more often for card-making, but I seem to have a hard time combining the cut-outs with my stamps and creating something I actually like. But one of the last cartridges I bought, "Just Because" Cards, is (obviously) designed for making cards. You can cut out the actual cards; various layers, including images, greetings and "punny" sayings; and even envelopes. So I decided to make a simple set of all-occasion notecards.
First of all, it took some trial and error to figure out which card sizes and shapes I could cut. (My Cricut only cuts up to 6" wide instead of 12".) But eventually I decided which card base and scalloped layer I wanted to use, and then I picked out patterned paper, colors and stamps. Here are the cards I created (I made two of each design for the full card set):
Supplies (all Stampin' Up!®, unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: So Happy for You
Card stock: Whisper White, Chocolate Chip, Brilliant Blue, Rose Red, So Saffron, Old Olive, Tall Tales DSP
Ink: Chocolate Chip, Brilliant Blue, Rose Red, So Saffron, Old Olive
Accessories: White grosgrain ribbon, Dimensionals, "Just Because" Cards Cricut cartridge (Provo Craft)
The So Happy for You stamp set seemed to fit really well with this patterned paper because it has a playful font and images. And I love that there is a different image to coordinate with each greeting. On the "thanks" card, I stamped the full butterfly image (with the dashed "flying line") once, and then I used markers to ink just the butterfly and stamp it additional times. The cards have a fairly simple layout, so for a little detail I added some white grosgrain ribbon and doodled a border around the white focal layer.
The cards took me a lot longer to make than they should have, so I was a little relieved to finally be done with them. I packed up my Cricut and all the accessories in the case and then realized that I forgot to cut out the envelopes. Argh! At that point I wasn't getting everything out again, so I decided to leave the cards and come back to them later ...
So tonight's project was to create envelopes for the cards. The cards are an odd size (about 5" long and 3 1/4" tall), so they don't really fit any pre-made envelopes I have. I also realized that I probably wouldn't be able to cut out envelopes with the Cricut after all, since I'd made almost the largest size card that I could, and the envelopes would have to be bigger. Instead I just made my own template (which was a little project in and of itself) and then manually traced, cut, scored and assembled all ten envelopes.
Supplies (all Stampin' Up!, unless otherwise noted):
Tall Tales DSP, Old Olive Patterns DSP, Simply Scored tool, Scor-Tape (Sookwang)
I used the Tall Tales DSP so the envelopes coordinate with the cards, and since the paper is double-sided, there's a fun print on the inside of the envelopes, too! I discovered, though, that I didn't have enough of the Tall Tales DSP to make all the envelopes. Argh (again)! Luckily I have a pack of Old Olive patterned paper, so I was able to make the last envelope and still have it coordinate (it's the green polka dot one on the right side). I used Scor-Tape to assemble the envelopes, and I also added a strip of Scor-Tape on the flap, so the backing just needs to be peeled off to seal the envelopes. Because some of the envelopes are darker colors, I am also including some blank white address labels with the card set so the recipient can use them for adding names and/or addresses on the envelopes. (The envelopes are 5 1/4" x 3 1/2" -- just over the postal service's minimum requirements of 5" x 3 1/2". Phew!)
So the supposed-to-be-simple card set is finally done, except for the packaging. Let's hope that doesn't become another project!