Saturday, February 2, 2013

Butterfly card candy

Today I had the first workshop for my small Sale-A-Bration hostess club, and I wanted to make a little gift for the hostess. Last year I made DVD case notepad holders, so I wanted to do something completely different this year. I settled on card candy -- premade embellishments that the recipient can simply add to a card, scrapbook page or other papercraft item.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!®):
Paper: Primrose Petals, Raspberry Ripple, Summer Starfruit, Gumball Green, Midnight Muse card stock; Print Poetry Designer Series Paper (DSP) stack
Accessories: Elegant Butterfly punch, Bitty Butterfly punch, pearls, rhinestones, Tombow Mono Multi liquid glue, Dimensionals, Glue Dots

These were really quick, easy and fun to make, and I really like how they look arranged on this Crumb Cake card stock. (This could almost be the front of a sweet all-occasion card.)

To make the card candy, I first punched two Elegant Butterfly shapes from each of five colors: Primrose Petals, Raspberry Ripple, Summer Starfruit, Gumball Green, Midnight Muse. These are Stampin' Up!'s 2012 - 2014 In Colors, and I chose them because they are the main colors in the Print Poetry DSP stack. I chose five prints from the DSP stack -- one to coordinate with each card stock color -- and punched two Bitty Butterfly shapes from each print. I gently folded the Bitty Butterfly shapes in the middle, placed a little liquid glue along the crease and adhered them to the Elegant Butterfly shapes, leaving the wings folded up just a bit. I added a strip of three pearls or rhinestones along the middle of each butterfly.

To adhere the butterflies to the card stock base, I placed a Dimensional on the middle of the back of each butterfly, leaving the backing paper on the Dimensionals. Then I placed a Glue Dot on the backing paper and attached the butterflies to the card stock. To use the butterflies, you just gently pull them off the Dimensional backing paper and apply them to your project.

These butterflies really make me long for spring, but I have a feeling that's still a long way off. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: