Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Cuteness in a card

Today I have a couple of birthday cards to share that I think are just plain cute.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!®):
Stamps: For the Birds
Card stock: Whisper White, Marina Mist, Daffodil Delight
Ink: Jet Black StazOn, Marina Mist, Daffodil Delight
Accessories: Cloudy Day embossing folder, white baker's twine, Brights buttons, Dimensionals

See? Total cuteness. ("It's your birthday!" is stamped inside the card to complete the sentiment.)

To create this layout, I started with the stamped focal image. I liked the extra white space below the image and wrapped white baker's twine around the card stock to add some subtle visual interest. I chose a Marina Mist card base to represent the sky and embossed it with the Cloudy Day embossing folder for the perfect texture. I toyed around with the idea of using punches to create a sun, but that didn't seem quite right. Instead I used a Daffodil Delight button tied with a bit of baker's twine. I wanted to repeat that color, so I created a Daffodil Delight pennant, distressed the edges a bit and adhered it to the card base. I used Dimensionals to adhere the focal image over the pennant.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Stacks of Wishes
Paper: Crumb Cake, Whisper White card stock; Polka Dot Parade Designer Series Paper (DSP)
Ink: Real Red, Marina Mist, Old Olive
Accessories: Linen thread, corner rounder, Dimensionals

This card is 3" x 6" and features four panels. The three pieces of DSP are each 1" x 2-1/2", and the focal image is 1-3/4" x 2-1/2". All the margins measure 1/4" (or at least they're supposed to; mine are a wee bit off in a few places). I adhered the three DSP panels to the card and then wrapped the linen thread around the card front two times and tied it in a knot. Using Dimensionals, I adhered the focal image over the linen thread. To create the multicolor effect on the stamped image, I used markers to color directly on the rubber stamp. I didn't add any extra embellishments because I was trying to keep this card gender-neutral, but I thought long and hard about adding some rhinestones to the pieces of DSP. But even without them, I still think it's a cute card.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: