Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Single-layer simplicity

Sometimes making a simple card is more challenging than making an elaborate one. At least for me. Since there are fewer elements on the card, each one becomes more important. And mistakes are easier to notice. So maybe it's not exactly that simple cards are harder to make, it's that they are more intimidating. But last weekend I made three very simple single-layer cards that I really liked.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!®):
Stamps: Elementary Elegance
Card stock: Whisper White
Ink: Going Gray, Daffodil Delight
Accessories: Curly Label punch, basic rhinestones, 1/8" Daffodil Delight taffeta ribbon, Simply Scored tool, Dimensionals

I stamped the frame image directly on the white card base, slightly to the left of the middle. I stamped the greeting and a butterfly on a separate piece of card stock, punched it out and adhered it inside the frame with Dimensionals. I scored two lines along the bottom of the card and then tied a piece of ribbon just above those lines. Finally I stamped a few more butterflies around the frame and added three rhinestones on the upper right corner and one at the top of the frame. I think this layout -- with a variety of greetings and colors -- would make an elegant set of note cards.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Playful Pieces, It's Your Birthday
Card stock: Whisper White, textured Soft Suede, textured Crushed Curry, textured Old Olive
Ink: Soft Suede, Crushed Curry, Old Olive
Accessories: 3/4" square punch ( EK Success), 1" square punch, Simply Scored tool, Dimensionals

This card actually doesn't have any embellishments, so I added interest in a couple of other ways: I used textured card stock mats behind the stars, and I added an embossed border around the card.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Tea Shoppe, Something to Celebrate
Card stock: Whisper White, Pear Pizzazz, Barely Banana, Almost Amethyst
Ink: Pear Pizzazz, Barely Banana, Almost Amethyst
Accessories: Adorning Accents embossing folders and Edgelits dies, Itty Bitty Shapes punch pack, basic pearls, Mini Glue Dots, Dimensionals

This card has the same layout as the previous one, but with a more feminine feel. Instead of matting the teacup images with card stock, I cut each of them out and adhered them to the card base with Dimensionals. I also added a punched flower and pearl to each teacup. Finally instead of the embossed border all the way around the card, I used a coordinating embossing folder and die to create the scalloped bottom edge.

Once I got into the groove of making these clean and simple cards, I really enjoyed it. I'll definitely be making more. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: