Friday, May 25, 2012

Matching card and envelope

When I make cards, I rarely decorate the envelopes. Don't get me wrong, I think matching envelopes are adorable and the perfect finishing touch to a hand-made card. I just would rather spend time focusing on the card, since the envelope will probably get tossed. (I think I may be the only person who saves the envelopes with the cards.) But the ultimate way to get an envelope to coordinate with a card is just to make your own.

Supplies:
Stamps: Garden Variety (Unity Stamp Co.)
Card stock: Natural Ivory (The Paper Company), light green (unknown), Early Bird: Brunch patterned paper (Cosmo Cricket)
Ink: Not Quite Navy, Baja Breeze, Lucky Limeade markers (Stampin' Up!); VersaMark pad (Tsukineko)
Accessories: 1-3/4" circle, 2-3/8" scallop circle, corner rounder, Itty Bitty Shapes punches (Stampin' Up!); Fun House Elements ribbon (American Crafts); Mini Pearls - Baby Blue Assortment (Doodlebug Design Inc.); Simply Scored Tool and Diagonal Plate (Stampin' Up!); Mini Glue Dots; Dimensionals (Stampin' Up!); 1/8: Scor-Tape (Scor-Pal)

This is a 3" x 3" card, which is the perfect size to include in a gift, leave on a desk or tuck into a lunch bag or briefcase. To make the stamped image, I used three markers to color directly on the rubber stamp. Then I stamped the image and punched it out. To accentuate the flower centers, I stamped the image again, punched out the centers, adhered them to the main image with Dimensionals and added mini pearls. I added a scalloped circle behind the image, tied a piece of blue ribbon around the card front and adhered the focal image to the card with Dimensionals.

I do have a supply of envelopes for 3" x 3" cards, and that would have worked just fine. But I really like this floral patterned paper, so I thought it would be fun to make a matching envelope. Plus, because the paper is two-sided, there is a cute pattern on the inside of the envelope, too. I used the Simply Scored Tool and Diagonal Plate from Stampin' Up!® to make the envelope, and it was really quick and easy. (The Diagonal Plate comes with instructions for making envelopes in a few different sizes.) I also adhered a circle of Natural Ivory card stock to the front of the envelope so there was space to write the recipient's name.

This project inspires me to make more coordinating envelopes. I've got enough patterned paper to make a mighty tall stack of them ...Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: