Monday, May 14, 2012

Seeing stars

Stars are always a fun, festive theme for birthday cards. Here are three "starry" cards I made this weekend.

Light blue card with small and large green, turquoise and red stars, all with a plaid embossed texture.
Supplies (all Stampin' Up!® unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Starring You
Card stock: Cool Caribbean, Real Red, Old Olive, Tempting Turquoise, Whisper White
Ink: Real Red, Cool Caribbean
Accessories: Large and small star punches, 1-3/4" circle punch, white crochet thread (DMC), plaid embossing folder (Sizzix), glue stick, Tombow Mono Multi liquid glue, Dimensionals

This card was a lot easier to make than it looks. I punched several small and large stars and glued them to the card front. Then I embossed the card front in an embossing folder. I've seen many cards made with this technique, but this was the first time I tried it. And I really like how it turned out. A couple of things to keep in mind: Be sure to use an adhesive that covers the entire punched shape, such as a glue stick or liquid glue, and be sure to use an embossing folder with a fairly small pattern that covers the whole piece of card stock.

Kraft card with strips of navy, orange, green and brown card stock. There is a banner with four pennants over the strips and a navy star in the bottom right corner.
Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Pennant Parade
Card stock: Crumb Cake, Very Vanilla, Night of Navy, Pumpkin Pie, Kiwi Kiss, Chocolate Chip
Ink: Night of Navy, Pumpkin Pie, Kiwi Kiss, Chocolate Chip
Accessories: Petite Pennants Builder punch, large star punch, paper piercer, mini silver brads, circle brad

Each colored strip of card stock on this card is about 7/8" wide. To make the banner, I adhered each pennant to the card. Then I placed a mini silver brad in between the pennants (using a paper piercer to make the holes) and one brad in each end.

Brown card with four white panels. Each panel has a large printed star layered with a small solid star and is layered on the same color card stock (red, yellow, green and blue).
Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Nursery Necessities, Teeny Tiny Wishes, Birthday Greetings (inside of card)
Card stock: Real Red, Crushed Curry, Old Olive, Taken with Teal, Chocolate Chip, Whisper White
Ink: Real Red, Crushed Curry, Old Olive, Taken with Teal
Accessories: Large and small star punches, Stamp-a-Ma-Jig, Mini Glue Dots, Dimensionals

I really like the combination of fun, bright colors, clean layout and bold stars on this card. I layered the punched stars and adhered them with Dimensionals to pieces of Whisper White card stock. I also matted each piece of white card stock with the same color as the stars. I thought about putting some type of embellishment -- maybe a brad or another small punched star -- in the middle of the card, but then I decided I'd better leave well enough alone.

Inside of card stamped with a birthday sentiment and red, yellow, green and blue stars.
I also thought I'd show you a picture of the inside of this card. Generally my cards are fairly plain inside because I just stamp a greeting or leave it blank if I want to write a longer message. But once in awhile I stamp the inside of the card to match the outside, which is what I did here. I like the randomness of these stars compared to the deliberate arrangement on the front of the card.










Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: