Thursday, June 7, 2012

Birthday 'cake'

A few months ago I posted a birthday ensemble that included a tealight candle birthday cake. It was a fun, cute and easy project, so I decided to make another, this one with a coordinating gift box.

Supplies:
Stamps: Essential Messages (Hero Arts)
Card stock: Beautiful Go-Go Boots printed paper (KI Memories), pink and tan card stock
Ink: Dark brown chalk ink (Color Box)
Accessories: 1/16" and 1/4" hole punches; medium and large scallop circle, oval, scallop oval, scallop edge, corner rounder and 1-3/8" circle punches (Stampin' Up!); Pretty in Pink corduroy brad; Clear Rock Candy Distress Stickles (Ranger); mini jewels - Lily White assortment (Doodlebug Design Inc.); Perfect Polka Dots embossing folder (Stampin' Up!); white crochet thread; paper crimper (Fiskars); Scor-Pal; Scor-Tape (Scor-Pal); Tombow Mono Multi liquid glue
Other: Battery-operated tealight candle

There is a great tutorial for this project on Splitcoaststampers. I made a couple of modifications to the tutorial: The strip I used around the tealight is 7/8" instead of 3/4" to hide the on/off switch on the bottom of the candle, and after Step 5, I tested my scallop circle to be sure it fit over the "flame," and then I punched a 1/4" hole in the center before gluing it down.

For this candle, I crimped the strip of pink card stock before gluing it around the candle. Then I put Stickles glitter glue in the grooves. For a little more bling I placed mini rhinestones on the scallops of the patterned paper "frosting."

I wanted to make the cake look as if it were on a plate or doily, so I punched a large scallop circle from tan card stock and embossed it with polka dots. Before I glued it to the bottom of the candle, however, I punched a 1-3/8" circle out of the middle to allow access to the battery and on/off switch.

I made the box out of the same card stock colors and patterned paper as the candle. I glued a strip of card stock with a scallop edge along the inside of the box cover and placed a corduroy brad in the middle of the cover. To make a little tag, I stamped the greeting "bring on the cake," punched it out with an oval punch and, to continue the scallop theme, layered it on a scalloped oval. I tied a loop of white crochet thread on the tag and then wrapped it around the brad. A cute little gift wrapped and ready to go!

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: