Saturday, June 16, 2012

Adorable animals

One of the first stamps sets I bought from the new Stampin' Up!® catalog is called Storybook Friends. It is ah-dorable. Six stamps, each with an animal image and short sentiment. I broke it out yesterday and have made two cards so far:

Gender-neutral baby card with the image of a lamb and the greeting "so sweet."
Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Storybook Friends
Card stock: Sahara Sand, Naturals Ivory, Gumball Green
Ink: Basic Gray, Sahara Sand, Gumball Green
Accessories: Aquapainter brush, Perfect Polka Dots embossing folder, Finishing Touches Edgelits dies, Labels Collection Framelits dies, Itty Bitty Shapes punch pack, Basic Gray satin ribbon, paper piercer, mini silver brads, Dimensionals

I love this little lamb, and I think he's perfect for a baby card. (I really don't need any more baby cards right now, but I couldn't resist making this one.) I chose a neutral combination of Sahara Sand and Basic Gray with just a few pops of Gumball Green. Non-traditional for a baby card, but still sweet. I lightly watercolored the lamb with Sahara Sand ink using an Aquapainter brush. I embossed polka dots on the bottom of the card and added a bit of ribbon, a decorative die cut edge and a few flowers.

Gray card with yellow accents and the image of a kitten playing with a ball of yarn.
Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Storybook Friends
Card stock: Basic Gray, Naturals Ivory, Summer Starfruit
Ink: Jet Black StazOn, Basic Gray, Summer Starfruit
Accessories: 2-3/8" scallop circle punch, 2-1/2" circle punch, Adorning Accents Edgelits dies, Argyle embossing folder, Aquapainter brush, white baker's twine, Dimensionals

I think this kitten might be even sweeter than the lamb. (Though I will admit that I'm slightly confused as to why it says "friends" when there is only one animal. Is she supposed to be friends with the yarn? Couldn't there be two kittens playing with the yarn? Random things such as this sometimes consume me. But then I remind myself that there are bigger things to worry about, and I move on.)

There are several elements on this card that are similar to the previous one -- a watercolored image that is punched/die cut, a neutral color scheme with touches of color, a decorative cut edge and some embossing for texture. I'm not sure yet how I feel about the new Summer Starfruit color. I haven't played with it too much, but so far I've had trouble combining it with other colors. I do, though, like it paired with the gray, which really pulls out the green tones in it.

I hope you enjoyed these adorable animals. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: