Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Christmas in (almost) July

When the temperature is above 90°F, which it is here today, there are many ways to beat the heat. Relax at the beach, take a dip in a pool, run through a sprinkler, or sit in the shade sipping iced tea and reading a book. All of these would have been fun activities today, but I went in a little different direction: I made my first two Christmas cards of the year with a new stamp set from Stampin' Up!® called Stylin' Snowfolk.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Stylin' Snowfolk, Tiny Tags
Paper: Crumb Cake, Whisper White card stock; Polka Dot Parade Designer Series Paper (DSP)
Ink: Jet Black StazOn, Real Red, Marina Mist, Old Olive, Pumpkin Pie, Soft Suede
Accessories: 1-1/4" circle punch, Apothecary Accents Framelits dies, 1/8" Basic Black taffeta ribbon, Vintage Trinkets, Jewelry Tag punch, paper piercer, Tombow Mono multipurpose liquid glue, Dimensionals

I love this adorable little snow family! For this card, I decided to punch circles from Whisper White card stock to use as the snowpeople's heads, and then I stamped and adhered the features and accessories on the circles. (The Stylin' Snowfolk stamp set does also come with a snowman image. See the card below.) I even managed to stamp all the features pretty evenly without getting out my Stamp-a-Ma-Jig. They aren't perfect, but then a real snowman isn't perfect, either!

I glued each snowperson's head onto a piece of Crumb Cake card stock that was die cut with the Apothecary Accents Framelits dies. Then I added three strips of DSP to the front of a Crumb Cake card base and used Dimensionals to adhere the snowpeople to the DSP strips. I tied a piece of ribbon around the card front and used a small safety pin to attach three mini tags to the knot in the ribbon.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Stylin' Snowfolk, Curly Cute
Card stock: Island Indigo, Whisper White
Ink: Island Indigo, Rich Razzleberry, Baja Breeze, Basic Gray, Pumpkin Pie
Accessories: Perfect Polka Dots embossing folder, rhinestones, Tombow Mono multipurpose liquid glue, Mini Glue Dots, Dimensionals

This little snow-woman looks like she's resting peacefully on a snowy winter night. There are a couple of differences in stamped images from the previous card that I want to point out. First, the scarf in this card is longer than the ones above. I wanted shorter scarves for the other card, so I just inked a portion of the image. Second, I stamped the eyelashes upside-down on this card to look like the snow-woman has her eyes closed. On the card above I stamped the eyelashes right-side up over the eyes for a different look. It's nice to have that versatility.

For the background I embossed polka dots for a little texture and then randomly added small rhinestones to some of the dots to create a sparkling snowflakes. I also used a rhinestone to dot the "i" in the greeting.

Once winter gets here it really doesn't take long for me to tire of the snow and cold. But for a hot day in June, it was actually kind of fun to spend some time thinking about snowmen. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: