Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Whatever floats your boat

This morning, for the first time ever, I made a card before work. That may not sound like a big deal, but honestly I was pretty impressed with myself. Here's a little back story: For the past few weeks, I've been trying to get up extra early so I can walk for about 30 minutes before getting ready for work. My shifts start between 6:30 and 7:30 every day, so that means my alarm goes of a bit before 5:00. I've been doing pretty well, and I've only missed a couple of days, but this morning when the horrendous beeping started I was just not feeling it. So I snoozed my alarm several times, did a few yoga stretches, got dressed, made my lunch, ate breakfast and then sat down to stamp!

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!® unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Go Fish (Raisin Boat)
Card stock: Brilliant Blue, Bermuda Bay, Whisper White
Ink: StazOn Jet Black, Bermuda Bay, Brilliant Blue, Real Red, Soft Suede, Basic Gray, Basic Black (and inside card: Cajun Craze, Bordering Blue, Garden Green, River Rock, More Mustard)
Accessories: Cupcake Builder punch, wavy-edge scissors (Provo Craft), sponges, Dimensionals

I decided to make a Father's Day card, and I was excited to try out this new fishing-themed stamp set. I started with a Brilliant Blue card base and a piece of Bermuda Bay card stock, trimmed at the top with a wavy-edge scissors.

On the Bermuda Bay layer I stamped a few fish with bubbles and the greeting. I stamped the boat at the top of the Bermuda Bay card stock (so it went off the top edge) and on Whisper White, and then I colored and cut out the boat stamped on the white card stock. Before adhering the Bermuda Bay card stock to the card I sponged the edges of both the card front and the layer with their respective colors.

I glued the Bermuda Bay layer to the lower portion of the card front. Then I used Dimensionals to adhere the cut-out boat over the image I had stamped on the Bermuda Bay layer. I used the Cupcake Builder punch to create a few clouds for the sky.

In all honesty, that's as far as I got this morning. But when I got home from work, I decided that I also needed to continue the fishing theme on the inside of the card. (Actually, I think I added the clouds on the front of the card this afternoon, too.) So I stamped and colored a few more images on a layer of Whisper White card stock and adhered it inside the card. I love the image of the little worm with the SOS sign. (One of my least favorite things about fishing is having to tear big nightcrawlers in half. I can put a worm or a leech on a hook, and I can take a fish off -- unless it's completely swallowed the hook -- but I hate trying to tear worms in half. Ugh.) I left some open space on the bottom part of the card so I can write a little message.

I think this card has inspired me to make a few more masculine cards, so maybe I'll have to chance to do that later this week. But probably not before work.

Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Andrea, I love, love how you colored your boat card above! Awesome colors together and just such a cool card. I also love how you designed your fishy SOS card - so clean and eye-pleasing and makes me smile! - Kim