Saturday, June 2, 2012

Simple blooms

I love to take pictures of flowers. I'll be honest, my pictures don't always turn out great, but that hasn't stopped me. I don't often, however, do anything with those pictures. So I decided to take a stab at making a scrapbook page focused on flowers.

Scrapbook page with pictures of flowers and the title "bloom."
Supplies:
Card stock: Black (Bazzill), periwinkle (Core'dinations)
Ink: Summer Sun, Pixie Pink Stampin' Write markers (Stampin' Up!); Pure Black Millennium pen (ZIG)
Accessories: "Just Because" Cards cartridge (Cricut); rick rack (unknown); paper flowers (Just Blooms - Close to My Heart, By the Sea Color Assortment - Mulberry Street); mini pearls - Baby Boy Assortment (Doodlebug Design Inc.); 1-1/4", 1-3/4", Dotted SCallop Ribbon Border punches (Stampin' Up!); Mini Glue Dots, Dimensionals, Tombow Mono Multi liquid glue (Stampin' Up!); 1/8", 1/4" Scor-Tape (Scor-Pal); sandpaper

I took these pictures a couple of summers ago during my first trip to Salt Lake City for the Stampin' Up!® convention. One free evening during convention, a few of my new stamping friends and I went to The Gateway, an outdoor mall.

When I made this page I left a lot of white space (or in this case, black space) so the bright colors of the flowers are really the focal point. To make the title, I used my Cricut to cut out the word "bloom" from textured card stock, and then I sanded it to make the core color of the card stock visible. I also punched and sanded a strip of card stock to make a scallop border on the left side of the main image.

Close-up of pink flower embellishment on "bloom" scrapbook page.
I used markers to color the two pink paper flowers and the small yellow one, which were all originally white. The "leaves" behind the flowers are actually another paper flower that was already green. I layered the flowers together and added a pearl in the center.

Close-up of flower pictures punched into circles on "bloom" scrapbook page.
I didn't think this page needed too much journaling, but I did want to include where and when the pictures were taken. I could have written directly on the black paper with a white gel pen. But instead I decided to make a mat for one of the circular pictures along the bottom of the page and wrote the details around the picture.

I'm pleased with how this page turned out. And I think instead of putting it a scrapbook, I might just frame it to hang on the wall. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: