Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Stepping out of the background

I'll admit it: I'm a background kind of person. I don't really like a lot of attention, and I'm generally much happier behind the scenes than on the stage. But every once in awhile it is nice to be noticed. That was the thought behind my card theme today: give a little of the spotlight to background stamps. So here are our stars for the day:

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!®):
Stamps: Medallion
Card stock: Bordering Blue, Very Vanilla
Ink: Bordering Blue, Soft Suede
Accessories: Antique brads, vintage trinkets, Victoria crochet trim, Soft Suede and Bashful Blue taffeta ribbon, sponge, Ticket Corner punch, paper piercer, mat pack

I don't often make distressed cards, but I love how this one turned out. First I stamped the medallion several times in Bordering Blue on the Very Vanilla card stock. Then I stamped one medallion over them in Soft Suede. I punched the corners of the card stock and sponged the edges with Soft Suede ink. I also lightly sponged the surface of the Very Vanilla card stock to make it look a little more aged. I tied ribbon around the card front and put a small safety pin through the knot. Finally I used a paper piercer to make a hole in the middle of the medallion and added an antique brad.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Background Sampler, Happiest Birthday Wishes
Card stock: Crumb Cake, Cherry Cobbler, Riding Hood Red, More Mustard, So Saffron, Marina Mist, Bashful Blue
Ink: Crumb Cake, Riding Hood Red, So Saffron, Bashful Blue; markers: Cherry Cobbler, More Mustard, Marina Mist
Accessories: Basic pearls, Crumb Cake taffeta ribbon, Just Blooms flowers (Close to My Heart), Glue Dots

This card is pretty self-explanatory; I think the only thing I really need to point out is that I used markers to color the three flowers. But this is a clean and simple layout that could be easily changed up by using different pattern stamps, colors or embellishments.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!): 
Stamps: Woodgrain 
Card stock: Textured Soft Suede, Wild Wasabi, So Saffron, Pretty in Pink, Whisper White, Basic Black 
Ink: Chocolate Chip, Wild Wasabi 
Accessories: Owl and Bird Builder punches, 2-1/2" circle punch, Wild Wasabi stitched grosgrain ribbon, sponge, Dimensionals, Crystal Effects (on the owl's heart)

OK, the stamp on this card is sort of in the background, but let's admit it: This "tree" wouldn't be as cute without the Woodgrain background stamp, right? Obviously, most of this card is made with punches. I used the wing from the Bird Builder punch to make the owl's wings and the large leaves. I also sponged the large leaves with Wild Wasabi ink to add a little depth. All-in-all I'm pleased with this card, and I think I'm going to use it as a birthday card for one of my cousins who really likes owls.


Thanks for stopping by -- and remember to let your background stamps shine!

2 comments:

Bandon, Oregon said...

I LOVE this card... WONDERFUL!!!!

Faith

Bandon, Oregon said...

oops... They are all Wonderful, but the Owl made me laugh.... it's very fun....

Faith