Friday, September 13, 2019

Bright birthday cards

It's been a rainy, windy, chilly few days around here -- fall is definitely in the air. I don't mind the cooler temps, but I do wish the sun were out. Since that's not in the forecast for today, I thought these birthday cards might help bring a little brightness to the day.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Birthday Balloons (Simon Says Stamp)
Paper: Whisper White,Basic Black card stock; Neutrals Designer Series Paper (DSP) Stack
Ink: Flirty Flamingo, Poppy Parade, Tangelo Twist, Daffodil Delight, Cucumber Crush, Bermuda Bay, Pool Party, Gorgeous Grape, Memento Tuxedo Black
Accessories: Wreath Builder Template (Gina K Designs), white crochet thread (DMC), sparkling clear sequins (Pretty Pink Posh), Art Glitter Glue (Art Institute)

I should apologize for the less-than-great pictures of these cards. I took them on a really sunny day (just the opposite of today!) so there are some shadows on the cards. I hope it's not too distracting.

As it turns out, I only used two stamp sets for all of the cards in today's post: the Birthday Balloons stamp set for this card and the next one, and the set And Many More for the last two cards.

I also used the Wreath Builder Template from Gina K Designs for the first two cards. I wanted to try using it to make something other than an actual wreath, so I opted for a ring of rainbow balloons. I kept the rest of the card black and white, with a black card base, polka dot paper, and white thread. A few clear sequins and a little sparkle without distracting from the balloons.

For the inside of the card I used the balloon stamp in a more traditional way. I cut a panel of white card stock and stamped a sentiment in black near the top of the panel. Then I stamped three balloons in different colors, positioning one so the top portion is off the card stock. I used a ruler and fine-point marker to hand-draw the balloon strings.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Birthday Balloons (Simon Says Stamp)
Paper: Whisper White, Poppy Parade card stock; Oh My Stars Collection Kit (Bella Blvd)
Ink: Poppy Parade, Daffodil Delight, Bermuda Bay, Gorgeous Grape
Accessories: Wreath Builder Template (Gina K Designs), gold star embellishment (Paper Pumpkin leftover), double-stitched Daffodil Delight ribbon, Corner Chomper (We R Memory Keepers)

Since I used the same stamp set for this card, I also decided to stick with the Wreath Builder Template.

Using the four different star images in the stamp set and four different ink colors, I made a bright starry wreath to surround the sentiment on the focal panel. It's a little on the wild and crazy side, but I decided to go with it and add even more stars! I placed a piece of starry patterned paper  below the stamped panel and a single gold star near the lower right corner. To finish it off I adhered a piece of Daffodil Delight ribbon across the front of the card to cover the edge of the patterned paper.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: And many More (WPlus9 Design Studio)
Paper: Thick Whisper White, Lemon Lime Twist card stock
Ink: Lemon Lime Twist, Pineapple Punch
Accessories: It's Your Day die (Simon Says Stamp), Frame in Frame 2 Cutting Plate (Taylored Expressions), Glitter Enamel Dots

For this card I focused on the "filler" images from the And Many More stamp set. Using a white card base, I stamped the speckles using Lemon Lime Twist and the stars/confetti using Pineapple Punch. Once I had those sprinkled around the card front, I layered on a die-cut frame and sentiment, both from Lemon Lime Twist card stock. For a little bit of sparkle I added three green Glitter Enamel Dots.

This would be a fun design to try with different color combinations. Or you could adhere a layer of patterned paper -- or a watercolor wash or alcohol ink background -- on the card front instead of stamping the background.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: And Many More (WPlus9 Design Studio)
Paper: Thick Whisper White
Ink: Berry Burst, Crushed Curry, Memento Tuxedo Black
Accessories: Stars dies, Layering Circles dies, Corner Chomper (We R Memory Keepers), clear Wink of Stella glitter brush pen, Dimensionals

For this card, I made a window that lets you peek through to the inside of the card. I started with a white card base and stamped the circular sentiment slightly above the middle of the card and cut out the center with a circle die. On the rest of the card front I randomly stamped the circles in Crushed Curry and the stars/confetti in Berry Burst.

To embellish the card front, I die cut three stars out of Berry Burst card stock and covered them with clear Wink of Stella glitter. I placed one of the stars over part of the sentiment -- it reads "Happy birthday dear friend," and I wanted something less specific -- and the other two near the left side of the card.

Inside the card I stamped a birthday cake that peeks through the window on the front. To make the cake layers I inked the solid bar image with Berry Burst ink and stamped it three times, one above the other, without re-inking. Then I stamped the scalloped image on the top layer to look like icing. I stamped the candle image in Crushed Curry ink and added a touch of glitter to the tops of the candles.

I also stamped a sentiment below the cake, making sure it was low enough that you can't see it through the window on the front of the card. The sentiment also acts as a visual cue for where to sign the card or write a note; as long as it's below the sentiment, you won't be able to see it when the card is closed.




Thanks for stopping by today. I hope you have some brightness in your day!

4 comments:

Sunshine. said...

Oh Andrea, these cards are awesome! I love how you have used the Gina K Wreath Builder Template! I liked it so much I made one last night! I found a youtube video sowing how to make it. I have yet to try it! I like all the colours you used on each card, the balloons, the stars the
backgrounds etc, just beautiful, I think my fave is the one with the stars and the birthday cake, but they are all amazing! If I manage to make something (decent) with the template I made, I will put it on my blog by the end of the day! Well done:-)
Sunshine
ihearttostamp.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Each and every one is great! Thank you, as always, for the great inspiration and ideas. All are suited for many ages, gender...perfect inspiration for cards to make to have on hand for giving.
Judy

Andrea said...

Thanks, Sunshine! I saw your wreath template on your blog - have fun with it! Your first card is great! :)

Andrea said...

Thanks for always leaving such kind comments, Judy!