Saturday, September 28, 2019

September Christmas card: Ho Ho Postage

In September and October it's always fun to see all the beautiful new Christmas products that the stamp companies release. I try not to buy too many of them -- by that point in the year I've already finished a good portion of my Christmas cards -- but when I saw the Ho Ho Postage stamp set from Simon Says Stamp, I couldn't resist. And I knew I wanted to use it for my September Christmas cards.

Supplies:
Stamps: Ho Ho Postage (Simon Says Stamp)
Paper: Pre-folded #4 cards (Marco's Paper), Whisper White card stock (Stampin' Up!), red glimmer paper (Stampin' Up!)
Ink: Real Red (Stampin' Up!), Sea Glass (Gina K Designs)
Accessories: Ho Ho Postage dies (Simon Says Stamp), Pattern Party masks (Stampin' Up!), white Glitz Glitter Gel (Gina K Designs), Bitty Blooms punch pack (Stampin' Up!), Candy Cane Lane baker's twine (Stampin' Up!), Art Glitter Glue (Art Institute), foam tape (3M)

I love the images in this stamp set, and with some of them, I think that if I carefully ink just the edges of the stamp, I can use the outline with other small images to make faux postage for any season.

For this card I inked  the large reindeer stamp with Sea Glass and one of the smaller sentiment images with Real Red -- I love those colors together! I stamped the images on white card stock and cut them out with the matching dies. I wanted to give the reindeer a red nose, so I looked through my punches and happened to find a small oval punch that was almost the exact same shape as the nose on the stamped image. (That punch was part of the Bitty Blossoms punch pack -- I never would have thought to use a flower-builder punch for a reindeer's nose!) I punched the oval out of red glimmer paper and glued it over the stamped image.

I wanted to keep the background of the card white, but I also wanted to add a little "something" for visual interest. I looked through my stencils and found one with a simple diamond-like pattern and used it with white Glitz Glitter Gel to add sparkle to the card base. I purposely didn't apply the gel all over the card front; I applied one "swish" of gel and then smoothed it out a bit. I think it looks a bit like falling snow.


I used foam tape to attach the two die-cut images near the middle of the card, overlapping the corners just a bit. To finish the card I tied a bow out of red-and-white twine and glued it to the reindeer image. Simple, sparkly and so cute!

Thanks for stopping by!


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That reindeer is adorable - and how awesome to find a shape in a punch to match the nose. So many perfect components - the sparkle of the nose and background, the little bow for the reindeer. It's a cute one for sure!
Judy

Sunshine said...

These are so cute Andrea! Love the red and white together! A question...how did you do the glitter gel? Did you smoosh it on the actual embossing folder before you embossed, or did you smoosh it on after you had embossed it? Which ever way you did it, it looks great!
Happy Sunday!
Sunshine.
ihearttostamp.blogspot.com

Andrea said...

Thanks, Judy!

Andrea said...

Thanks, Sunshine! I actually didn't use an embossing folder. I used a stencil, or mask, placed it on the card front, and then spread the glitter gel across the stencil with a plastic pallet knife. I hope that helps!