Monday, February 27, 2012

Beautiful butterflies

In continuation of the quest for spring that I started last week with my Flower Fun cards, today I have a group of cards that all include butterflies.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!®):
Paper: Whisper White, Blushing Bride, Poppy Parade, Peach Parfait, Pear Pizzazz and Concord Crush card stock; Designer Series Paper (DSP) Patterns - In Color
Ink: Basic Black marker
Accessories: Butterfly punch, Basic Black 1/8" taffeta ribbon, basic pearls

After I made my simple card set this weekend, I had a little bit of DSP left, just enough to punch out one butterfly in each color. (The print on these butterflies is the reverse side of the print on the card set.) I also punched out one butterfly in each of the card stock colors that matched the DSP. I adhered the card stock butterflies to the card and then glued the DSP butterflies over them. There is only glue on the middle of the DSP butterflies, so I pulled the wings up a bit to create some dimension. I also added three little pearls as the body of each butterfly. For the last few details I doodled a "flight path" for the Poppy Parade butterfly and a border around the edges of the card, added some ribbon, and adhered three pearls in the lower right corner. The finished size of the card is about 4" x 9-1/4".

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Watercolor Minis
Card stock: Very Vanilla, Mellow Moss, Purely Pomegranate
Ink: Mellow Moss, Purely Pomegranate, River Rock
Accessories: Designer Frames embossing folders, corner rounder, Very Vanilla seam binding ribbon, Itty Bitty Shapes punch pack, basic pearls

When I stamped the flowers, I stamped each "bunch" two or three times without reinking the stamp so they look a little fuller. To make the ruffles in the ribbon, I glued the bow to the card and applied adhesive to the back of the ribbon ends. Then as I adhered the ends to the card, I "scrunched" them in a few places. I wasn't sure how this card would turn out while I was making it, but I like the vintage feel of it.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!): 
Stamps: Wonderful Wings, Elementary Elegance 
Card stock: Peach Parfait, watercolor paper 
Ink: Jet Black StazOn pad and reinker, Peach Parfait and Tangerine Tango reinkers 
Accessories: Framed Tulips embossing folder, Aquapainter, paper snips, Dimensionals

I really like this clean and simple card. I stamped the butterfly on watercolor paper and colored its wings by putting a couple drops of reinker in the open lid of the matching ink pad and dipping an Aquapainter in the ink. When I was done, I decided that the body of the butterfly wasn't dark enough, so I used the same technique to paint the body, too. The StazOn ink doesn't spread like water-based inks, so I almost had to dot on the ink. (It also stained the Aquapinter brush a bit.) Then I cut out the butterfly, adhered it to the card with Dimensionals and added a greeting.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!): 
Stamps: Punch Potpourri 
Card stock: Purely Pomegranate, Whisper White 
Ink: Mellow Moss, Purely Pomegranate, River Rock, Blue Bayou 
Accessories: Simply Scored, Sherbet Ribbon Originals, white baker's twine, Dimensionals

For each of the butterflies, I wrapped baker's twine twice around the middle then tied a bow and trimmed the ends to make the body and antennae. I think my favorite detail, though, is on the bottom of this card. I used my Simply Scored tool to create an accordion-like texture by making a score line each 1/4", flipping the card over (so the card is open and the card front faces down) and then scoring again each 1/4" in between the previous score lines. It was easy to do, and adds a fun texture. (I just wish you could see it better in this picture.)

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: