Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Cute cupcakes

I have another round of family birthdays coming up in March, so it's time for more birthday cards. This weekend I decided to make a small batch of cupcakes -- cupcake cards, that is.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!®):
Stamps: Big Bold Birthday
Card stock: Purely Pomegranate, Whisper White, Early Espresso, Soft Suede
Ink: Purely Pomegranate, Early Espresso, Soft Suede, Summer Sun
Accessories: 1/8" Early Espresso taffeta ribbon, Adorning Accents Edgelits dies and embossing folders, Itty Bitty Shapes punch pack, paper snips, Mono multipurpose liquid glue, Dimensionals

This is my favorite of the three cupcake cards. I just love how all the elements came together, especially the repetition of the scallops and circles. It's hard to tell in this picture, but the cupcake base, top and candle were all stamped separately on Whisper White card stock, cut out and then glued together on another piece of Whisper White. The scallops on the left of the cupcake are five small punched circles glued halfway behind the Early Espresso card stock. Hmm ... I might have to add some Dazzling Details glitter glue to the candle to give the flame a little sparkle.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Party Hearty, Fresh Fillers
Card stock: Whisper White, Regal Rose, Chocolate Chip
Ink: Regal Rose pad and marker, Chocolate Chip marker
Accessories: Labels Collection Framelits dies, Perfect Polka Dots embossing folder, Dazzling Details, basic rhinestones, Dimensionals

After I stamped the cupcake for this card, I cut it out with the second-smallest label shape from the Framelits dies. Then I used the third-smallest die to cut a mat out of a piece of Chocolate Chip card stock. But as I was playing around with the layers, I realized that I like the "negative image" left in the Chocolate Chip card stock more than the actual label. So I embossed that piece with polka dots, glued it to the card base and used Dimensionals to adhere the cupcake inside the frame. I added some sparkle with Dazzling Details and rhinestones and a fun little flag for the greeting.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Out of the Box, Bring on the Cake
Card stock: Lucky Limeade, Whisper White, Island Indigo, Pool Party
Ink: Early Espresso pad; Lucky Limeade, Pool Party, Island Indigo markers
Accessories: 2-1/2" circle punch, 2-3/8" scallop circle punch, Simply Scored, Perfect Polka Dots embossing folder, basic rhinestones, Dimensionals

I needed a little break from pink for this card, so I went with a more mellow blue and green color combo. And I had to emboss some polka dots, because once I have that embossing folder out for one card, it seems like the perfect detail for almost every card. For the focal image here, I stamped the box and spring with Early Espresso, colored the box with markers and punched it out with a scallop circle punch. I stamped and colored the cupcake on a separate piece of Whisper White, cut it out and adhered it with Dimensionals at the top of the spring. I added texture to the strip of Pool Party card stock across the middle of the card by making score lines every 1/8" with the Simply Scored tool.

I hope these cards gave you a few "sweet" ideas (sorry, couldn't resist). Thanks for stopping by!


No comments: