Friday, December 15, 2017

Day 8: Trios of trees

We're up to Day 8 of my 12 Days of Christmas series, and I'm going to share one last card design featuring the Christmas Quilt bundle. Here is a colorful trio of trees:

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Christmas Quilt
Paper: Whisper White note cards and envelopes; Whisper White, Pool Party card stock; Quilted Christmas Designer Series Paper (DSP)
Ink: Chocolate Chip
Accessories: Quilt Builder Framelits dies, white baker's twine, Quilt Top embossing folder, pearls, Mono Multi liquid glue, Dimensionals

Instead of focusing on the stamps for this card design, I used the Quilt Builder Framelits dies to cut out triangles from one of the Quilted Christmas DSP patterns. (I did use one of the stamps to create the tree trunks, which I cut out by hand and glued to the backs of the triangles.) For a simple background, I embossed a piece of Pool Party card stock with the Quilt Top embossing folder, tied a piece of white baker's twine around it and adhered it to a Whisper White note card. I added a few small pearls around one of the trees, which reminds me of snowflakes.

To make the trees, I actually used two dies: one die cut out the triangle, and the other added the "stitching." Since I made several cards with this layout, and I had to die cut each tree individually, I wanted to speed up the process a bit. Rather than having to position both dies before each cut, I taped the dies to each other so I could position them together.

First I arranged the two dies over one of the triangles on the DSP. I used two small pieces of washi tape to secure the dies together and to the DSP. I ran the paper and dies through my Big Shot to cut out the triangle, removed the cut-out piece from the dies, and then carefully pulled the dies off the remaining DSP, being sure to leave the washi tape on the dies so they stayed together. Then it was easy to place the dies over the next triangle, cut out that tree, and so on.



Once all the trees were cut out, I arranged them into groups of three and assembled the cards. Here is another version with a different color combo:


Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, that's a good idea for the dies! Great card and thanks for sharing the die cut hint!
Judy

Sunshine said...

What cute and colourful little Christmas trees! You did a great job Andrea!
Sunshine, New Zealand
www.ihearttostamp.blogspot.com