Saturday, October 18, 2014

Gift box, bag with tag, and card

What a crazy week! Monday was my birthday (happy birthday to me!), and I spent the day shopping at the mall with my sister and then having a family dinner. Most of the day Tuesday was dedicated to assembling my latest Lego scene: a woodsy lake with cabins, canoers and even a lake monster. On Wednesday my aunt and I took a mini road trip to visit an awesome craft store in Saint Cloud, Minnesota. (There's a little cafe inside the store, and we took a break halfway through to eat some lunch. Seriously. It's like a warehouse.) On Thursday I got together with a friend for a birthday dessert (turtle cheesecake for me, mmm). Then Friday was more craftiness when my aunt and I went to a scrapbook expo at the state fairgrounds. Whew!

I've been so busy I almost forgot to do my second blog post for the week. Since I didn't have a chance to create anything this week, I'm going to share a little gift packaging ensemble I made for my sister's birthday a couple of weeks ago.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Label Love
Paper: Fiesta Forever card stock stack (Die Cuts with a View), Pool Party Core'dinations card stock, Whisper White card stock
Ink: Concord Crush marker
Accessories: Chalk Talk Framelits dies, Lacy Brocade embossing folder, Fun Flower punch, Pansy punch, 7/8" scallop circle punch, 3/4" circle punch, corner rounder, Coastal Cabana ruffle stretch trim, Lucky Limeade ruffle ribbon, Gift Bag Punch Board (We R Memory Keepers), Essentials Paper-Piercing Pack, paper-piercing tool, sanding block (unknown), Dimensionals, Scor-Tape (Scor-Pal)

I had fun making this ensemble, and I was glad that I even had some tissue paper to match. Below are several pictures of the individual items as well as a few details. I haven't written up a tutorial for making the gift box, but if you would like one, leave a comment below and I'll post one as soon as I can.

I used two pieces of 12" x 12" patterned card stock for the gift bag and box cover, with enough pieces left over for the card layer and embellishments. (I think I still have a few scraps that I decided to save since they coordinate with other patterns in the Fiesta Forever stack.) 

To make the gift bag I cut one of the pieces of patterned card stock to 9" x 11" and used the Gift Bag Punch Board. I used two pieces of Lucky Limeade ruffled ribbon to create handles for the bag and added a die-cut tag.
For the tag I used one of the Chalk Talk Framelits dies and cut two of the same shape: one from the patterned card stock and one from Pool Party Core'dinations card stock. I embossed the Pool Party tag, lightly sanded it and adhered the patterned tag to the back. I embellished the front of the tag, added a sentiment and tied the tag to one of the bag handles with a piece of Coastal Cabana ruffle stretch trim.

The gift box measures 3" x 3" x 6". For the cover of the box I cut the patterned card stock to 9" x 12". For the Pool Party base, I started with a piece that was just slightly smaller (I think about 8-7/8" x 11-7/8") so the cover and base fit together more easily. The box was the perfect size to hold a Republic of Tea cylinder tin.

To keep the box closed, I tied a piece of Coastal Cabana ruffle stretch trim around the box and added a layered flower as an embellishment. I embossed the largest Pool Party flower and used a folded piece of Lucky Limeade ribbon as leaves. For the flower center I repeated the circle and scalloped circle from the tag.

The 3" x 3" gift card is very simple. I cut a 3" x 6" piece of Pool Party card stock from what was left from the box and then added a layer of the patterned card stock. I adhered a strip of Lucky Limeade ruffled ribbon along the left side of the card and pierced a border along the other sides.

I felt like I should add something else to the card, but nothing I tried seemed quite right. But then I realized that the card didn't need to take center stage since it was just meant to accompany the gift, so I left it as is.

I was really happy with how this turned out. Now if I were just a bit more prepared with my gift-giving I could make more of my own gift packages.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: