Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Superhero birthday card

A couple of months ago I made a birthday card using the Calling All Heroes stamp set from Stampin' Up! This week I needed another birthday card for a boy, so I pulled out this fun set again and got to work.

Birthday card with starry background and retro comic-style images: superhero face, lightning bolt, "pow!" and skyline.
Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Calling All Heroes
Paper: Basic Gray, Whisper White, Island Indigo, Tempting Turquoise, Real Red, Crushed Curry card stock
Ink: Basic Gray, Island Indigo, Tempting Turquoise, Real Red, Crushed Curry
Accessories: Itty Bitty Accents punch pack, 3/4" circle punch, Dimensionals

I needed a large card (this is approximately 5" x 7"), so I decided to use multiple focal points to fill the space. For each focal point I started by stamping the image of graduated dots twice to create a mini background. That was probably the hardest part of the whole card.

Even though this stamp set is photopolymer (and thus completely clear, so you can see through the stamps), I had a hard time lining up the dotted image. So after a lot of crooked rows of dots, I figured out a trick. I stamped the first group of dots as usual. Then I re-inked the stamp and carefully wiped the ink off one of the outer rows of dots. (You also could just avoid inking that row when you reapply the ink). When I stamped the image again, I lined up that row of dots directly over a row of dots in the already stamped image. Then the rest of the dots were lined up correctly.

With the dots done, I stamped the remaining images, cut them out and attached them to the dot backgrounds with Dimensionals. I stamped the background of the Basic Gray card base with stars and adhered the panels to the card. To fill in some of the "white" space and bring in a little more color, I added three punched circles with punched stars in the middle.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: