Sunday, March 30, 2014

Cakes and candles

I did it! Today I finally finished the collection of cards I've been making for my grandma. I have fifty cards for her: forty-five birthday cards and five blank cards, which she can use as additional birthday cards or as get-well, sympathy, thank-you or thinking-of-you cards.

I'll be sharing the last of the birthday cards over the next week or two, starting with two cards that feature images of birthday cakes with candles.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Blooming with Happiness
Card stock: Whisper White, Basic Black, textured Melon Mambo
Ink: Jet Black StazOn, Melon Mambo, Pumpkin Pie, Daffodil Delight, Smoky Slate
Accessories: Melon Mambo scalloped polka dot ribbon, rhinestones, Dimensionals

I've always loved this flowery birthday cake. It's cute, fun and feminine and makes a great focal point for a clean and simple card.

For this card I stamped and colored the cake and embellished it simply with a few rhinestones on the cake stand. I wanted to add a bit of color between the image and the Basic Black mat, but I didn't want another layer of card stock. Instead I took a strip of scalloped grosgrain ribbon, cut the piece in half lengthwise and then trimmed the two sections into pieces to fit around the focal image. I adhered the ribbon pieces behind the white layer so just the little scallops are visible around the edges. I think that was just the right detail for this card.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Bring on the Cake
Card stock: Whisper White, Pumpkin Pie
Ink: Pumpkin Pie, Daffodil Delight, Coastal Cabana, Soft Suede
Accessories: Alphabet Press embossing folder, Deco Labels Framelits dies, Daffodil Delight stitched grosgrain ribbon, Soft Suede polka dot grosgrain ribbon, Coastal Cabana ruffled stretch trim, Dimensionals

As I was looking through the box of finished cards for my grandma, I realized that I didn't have any orange card bases. So that was the starting point for this Pumpkin Pie card. From there I chose the rest of the color pallet: Soft Suede, Daffodil Delight and Coastal Cabana. I wanted a neutral pallet, and I think this fits the bill nicely.

I used markers to apply ink to the rubber stamp so I could create a multicolored image. I die cut the image, matted it and used Dimensionals to apply it over the ribbon and embossed background.

I really enjoy making cards to give to other people -- and I know my grandma will appreciate them -- but it still feels good to have this project done. Now I can move on to other things (Easter cards, maybe?) without feeling guilty. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: