Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Sailing on a world map

I was excited to get the World Map background stamp in my last Stampin' Up! order a few weeks ago. But when I finally had a chance to play with it this weekend, I was a little stumped; I had an idea in my head that wasn't translating very well to paper. So I scrapped it, started over and ended up with this one:

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: World Map, Sail Away
Cardstock: Marina Mist, Whisper White, Close to Cocoa
Ink: Tuxedo Black (Memento), Marina Mist
Accessories: Island Indigo baker's twine, Antique Brass jumbo eyelet, Mono Multi liquid glue

I wasn't sure how the overlapping images would work, but I'm actually really pleased with how the card turned out.

I started by stamping the World Map image in Marina Mist ink on a Marina Mist card base. I stamped the boat image in black ink over the background and then stamped it again on scraps of Whisper White and Close to Cocoa cardstock. I cut out the white sails and the brown boat and glued them over the corresponding parts of the image on the card.

I wanted to add a little embellishment, so I added a jumbo eyelet in the upper right corner -- they always have a very nautical feeling to me. I also wrapped a piece of Island Indigo baker's twine around the left side of the card and tied it in a knot.

I stamped a birthday sentiment inside the card, but this would be a great masculine card for many different occasions. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: