Sunday, March 16, 2014

Be original

I'm taking a little break from the birthday cards to share a card I made for a coworker who was moving on to other adventures.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Zoo Review, Define Your Life
Paper: Basic Black, Whisper White cardstock; silver glimmer paper
Ink: Jet Black StazOn, Brights Collection markers, Basic Gray marker
Accessories: Stripes embossing folder, corner rounder, Merry Minis punch pack, Dimensionals

I love that rainbow zebra! This card was for a guy, so I couldn't make anything too frilly. But on the other hand, he was a guy who worked in child care, so I knew it didn't have to be too hard-core masculine, either. Before I started I had the idea of a card with several "normal"-looking animals and one different one. I settled on this zebra from the Zoo Review set, stamped three of them and cut them out. I colored two of them with Basic Gray, and the third one got rainbow stripes. (I often use Basic Gray instead of black when coloring something that is supposed to be black. The gray is dark enough, but it still allows a little of the image details to show through.)

With the zebras done, I focused on the layout. It's hard to see in this photo, but I embossed the Basic Black card base with the stripes embossing folder to play off the zebras' stripes. I stamped the sentiment on Whisper White cardstock and rounded the two left corners. I adhered the sentiment layer to the upper right side of the card base and then lined up the zebras underneath, using the embossed stripes as a guide. I used Dimensionals to pop up the rainbow zebra as well as a silver star by the sentiment.

This card could be used for many different occasions: encouragement, congratulations, good luck, or even just thinking of you. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: