Wednesday, March 31, 2021

March Christmas cards: Naughty or nice?

I don't make a lot of Santa-themed Christmas cards, so my March Christmas cards are a little change of pace for me. The stamp I used is actually the same style background stamp as the one I used for my Easter cards earlier this week. But this time I just used it as a background because I don't have the coordinating die to cut out these fun Santas.

Supplies:
Stamps: St. Nick Background (Taylored Expressions), Retro Holiday Greetings (Essentials by Ellen)
Paper: Toffee card stock (Taylored Expressions)
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black (Tsukineko), Sugar Cube (Taylored Expressions), Poppy Parade (Stampin' Up!)
Accessories: Everyday Label punch (Stampin' Up!), jute twine (May Arts Ribbon), rhinestones (Stampin' Up!), 1/16" hole punch (Fiskars), foam tape (3M)

I used Toffee card stock, which is a kraft color, for the card bases and stamped the Santa background using black ink. The background stamp also comes with clear stamps to fill in the whole Santa image -- hat, face, and beard -- but I didn't want to add that much color. I finally settled on just making red hats with white trim and pompoms, and I really like how it looks on the Toffee card stock.

I wanted a larger sentiment for the front of the card, and when I came across this one in my stash, it seemed perfect. (I hope I'm on the "nice" list!) I stamped the sentiment using the same red ink as the hats (Poppy Parade) and then punched it out with a label punch.

To add a little texture to the cards, I punched a 1/16" hole in each side of the label, threaded a piece of jute twine through the holes, wrapped the twine around the card front, and tied it off in a knot at the left side of the tag. (I also put some foam tape behind the label to keep it secured to the card and to add some dimension.) The finishing touch was a tiny rhinestone on the end of three of the Santa hats.

Thanks for stopping by!


4 comments:

Sunshine. said...

What cute and fun Santa's! I think I am definitely on the "Naughty" list! I like the Toffee coloured cardstock, I have always liked those kind of colours.
Have a great Easter, and I hope you get some nice sunny Spring weather! It's pouring with rain here:-(
Sunshine

Andrea said...

Thank you, Sunshine! It's been a little chilly the past couple of days (but no snow, so yay!). I think the weather this weekend is supposed to be really nice - hope your rain lets up! Happy Easter!

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure which list I'm on, but these cards are on the "nice" list for sure! Love the gems/rhinestones on some of the Santa hats - a little detail that adds a lot.
Judy

Andrea said...

Thanks, Judy! :) I worried that the gems would be too hard to see, but I think it's ok that they're a bit more subtle with this card style.