Monday, September 9, 2013

Challenge inspiration

This weekend I wanted to make a few cards, but I was at a loss as to what I should make. Then I happened to discover that it was virtual stamp night (VSN) at SCS, and lo and behold my problem was solved! (Oh, that life was always that easy.) VSN is actually a two-day event with a different stamping challenge posted every hour. You have a set amount of time to complete each challenge (most of them this round seemed to be 45 minutes), and you can choose to do as many or as few challenges as you want to. What I like about the VSN challenges is that, because of the time limit, they are pretty straightforward challenges, such as using a certain color combo or technique. I selected three of the challenges, and here are my results:

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Tape It, Flower Shop
Cardstock: Basic Black, Whisper White
Ink: Jet Black StazOn
Accessories: Pansy Punch, Candy Dots - Neutrals, Dimensionals

This challenge was to create a project that uses black and white. I wanted to have a clean and simple card layout, so for the background I stamped three of the images from Tape It on a layer of Whisper White cardstock and adhered it to a Basic Black card base. For the focal point I stamped and punched out one of the Flower Shop images and curved the petals up to create some dimension. I also punched a flower out of Basic Black cardstock and layered it behind the white flower like a shadow. The top half of the card needed some visual interest, so I added three Basic Black Candy Dots along the left side. (Normally when I make a black and white card, I like to add a little pop of color, so I might have used Real Red or Daffodil Delight Candy Dots. But I thought I'd better stick with just black and white for this one.) I also added a Whisper White Candy Dot to the center of the flower. I finished this card well under the 45-minute time limit; I think it took me less than 15 minutes to complete.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Bud Basics
Cardstock: Chocolate Chip, Very Vanilla
Ink: Crisp Cantaloupe, Calypso Coral, Pear Pizzazz, Chocolate Chip
Accessories: In Color Printed Designer Brads, pearls, 1/8" Calypso Coral organdy ribbon, Corner Chomper (We R Memory Keepers), Glue Dots, Dimensionals

The next challenge I selected was to make a card using both silhouette and line images. I knew right away that I would pull out one of my two-step flower sets for this challenge. For the background I randomly stamped the solid (or silhouette) flower and leaf images on Very Vanilla cardstock. Then I added the outline images in Chocolate Chip ink, purposely not matching the outlines to the solid images. For the focal point I stamped a few individual flowers and cut them out. I actually made two cards with this layout within the 45 minutes; I stamped the background images on a large piece of cardstock and then cut it in half to make two cards.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: So Happy For You, Create a Cupcake
Paper: Soft Suede, Whisper White cardstock; Brights Collection Designer Series Paper (DSP) Patterns Stack
Ink: Soft Suede, Tempting Turquoise
Accessories: Soft Suede polka dot ribbon, white baker's twine, 1/8" hole punch, Corner Chomper (We R Memory Keepers), Mono Multi liquid glue

This challenge was to make a project that included stripes and dots. My first thought was to use the retired DSP Patterns Stack, which included both of those patterns. I decided to combine Soft Suede with Tempting Turquoise, which is a color I rarely use (sort of a challenge within a challenge). To make the basket, I stamped one of the cupcake bottom images from the Create a Cupcake set. Then I stamped one image of the butterfly with the dotted "trail" coming out of the basket. For the rest of the butterflies I inked and stamped just the butterfly part of the image, stamping a few of them twice before reinking the stamp to achieve the lighter color. I also stamped a few butterflies on a separate piece of cardstock, cut them out and adhered them to the card with a drop of liquid glue to create some dimension.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: