Wednesday, September 4, 2013

File folder card set

A few months ago I received a pack of five cute mini file folders as part of a thank-you gift for organizing a craft retreat. (See the last photo in the post titled "How sweet"; the pack of file folders is on top of the puzzle book.) I knew right away that I wanted to use them to make cards, but in all the hubbub of summer I tucked them away in my craft room and forgot about them. Well, this weekend I transformed them into a fun set of handmade cards.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Teeny Tiny Wishes, Six-Sided Sampler, Tea Shoppe
Paper: Kiwi Kiss, Crisp Cantaloupe, Riding Hood Red, Blush Blossom, Pool Party, Very Vanilla cardstock; The Thrift Shop paper pad (October Afternoon); mini file folders (Paper Source)
Ink: Jet Back StazOn
Accessories: modern Label, 1/2" circle, Scallop Edge Border, corner rounder, Pansy punches; Hodgepodge Hardware - Pewter; basic pearls; Apothecary Accents Framelits dies; Stamp-a-ma-jig; Mono Multi liquid glue; Dimensionals

For each card I used two coordinating patterned papers from The Thrift Shop paper pad: one of the prints was the main layer for the card front, and the second print was an accent along the bottom of the card. I also used the accent print for the punched flower. To create a transition between the two prints I added a strip of coordinating cardstock punched with the Scallop Edge Border punch.

I wanted to play with the office theme of the file folders, so I created labels with the sentiments and used Dimensionals to adhere them on the folder tabs. I also used a photo holder and brad (from the Hodgepodge Hardware kit) to attach the punched flower to the card. I did add a bit of glue under that flower petal, just to be on the safe side, but the rest of the flower is not adhered to the card.

I forgot to take a picture of the inside of the cards, but they're pretty simple. I lined both sides of the card with Very Vanilla cardstock and added two small flags made with the patterned papers from the card front.

The hardest part of making these cards was actually the envelopes. The file folders, including the tabs, measure about 4-3/4" by 6", so they didn't fit in standard A2-sized envelopes. I didn't have enough coordinating patterned paper to make my own envelopes, so that left me stuck with boring white 5" x 7" envelopes. I knew I needed to make them a little fancier, and after trying several different ideas, I finally settled on adding a label made with one of the Apothecary Accents Framelits dies. I think this label is large enough (and light enough in color) to write an address for mailing, but you could also write just a name if you are hand-delivering the card. I'm still not completely satisfied with the envelopes, but I try to remember that most people will tear open and toss the envelopes anyway.

This project reminded me how much I like to make card sets; I'll have to make more for my stash. I hope my friends and family aren't completely tired of receiving them as gifts! Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment