Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Hoping for some good fortune

Today after work I stopped at the gas station to buy a few Powerball tickets for tonight's mind-boggling jackpot. I know there's virtually no chance of winning it, but as the saying goes, you can't win if you don't play. And then I thought maybe, just maybe, I could improve my luck a bit by sharing a few cards made with one of my new stamp sets, Good Fortune. Well, it's worth a shot anyway.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Good Fortune (Lawn Fawn)
Cardstock: Smoky Slate, Basic Black, Whisper White, So Saffron, River Rock
Ink: Smoky Slate
Accessories: Herringbone embossing folder (Cuttlebug), corner rounder, So Saffron brads, Mono Multi liquid glue, Dimensionals

I have coveted this stamp set, with its Chinese take-out box, chopsticks and fortune cookie sayings, for ages. I finally broke down and bought it, and I'm glad I did. It's fun, lighthearted and, at least for me, a little outside my usual style.

This was my first card with the set, so I stuck with a straightforward layout: I stamped the pieces on cardstock, cut them out and adhered them to an embossed layer. (It's hard to tell in the photo, but there is a Dimensional behind the middle of the fortune to create some depth.) The upper right corner looked a little bare, so I added three So Saffron brads. Speaking of So Saffron, when I was deciding which color to make my fortune cookie, I assumed it would be some shade of light brown, maybe the long-retired Creamy Caramel. Nope. I was surprised that the best color match (at least based on memory, since I didn't have a fortune cookie on hand to compare) was So Saffron. A good reminder to not overlook unexpected colors.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Good Fortune (Lawn Fawn)
Paper: Midnight Muse, Crumb Cake, Very Vanilla, So Saffron cardstock; Print Poetry Designer Series Paper (DSP) stack
Ink: Crumb Cake, Midnight Muse
Accessories: Woodgrain embossing folder, Dimensionals, Mono Multi liquid glue

I really liked the simple layout from the first card, so I made another card using the same placement for the stamped images. I played around a bit with the background, however, to make it look as if the items were sitting on a table. I used a piece of Crumb Cake cardstock embossed with a woodgrain texture for the table and a piece of polka dot DSP for a funky-looking wallpaper.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Good Fortune (Lawn Fawn)
Cardstock: Basic Black, Whisper White, So Saffron, Baked Brown Sugar, textured Old Olive
Ink: Smoky Slate, So Saffron, Baked Brown Sugar, Jet Black StazOn
Accessories: 1-3/4" circle punch, 1/8" Basic Black taffeta ribbon, Dimensionals

As much as I like that first layout, I knew I couldn't use it for every card I make with this stamp set. So on went the thinking cap (or maybe the creativity cap; actually for me, it's probably a little bit of both), and I decided to separate the images instead of creating a scene with them. I stamped and cut out the box, chopsticks and fortune cookie (with a short fortune this time; the set includes both the long and short images and several sentiments for each size. Awesome.) and used Dimensionals to adhere them to punched Basic Black circles on an Old Olive card base. A piece of narrow ribbon along the bottom of the card is a simple, but effective embellishment.

So, now I think I need to go find a fortune cookie that tells me, "You will win the lottery tonight." A girl can dream, right? Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: